Logo

what to change/check when the 350 is out of the boat

Rainbow Bridge

Hi All,

My 30 yr old (800 hr) 350 Chevy/Volvo is out of the boat.

Any thoughts on what to change/check before installing?

I replaced the rusty oil pan...

Any way to check freeze plugs?

THX!​

Check the PDS bearings. Even if they "feel" good, it's a good opportunity to clean out all the old grease, repack, the bearings, fill the cavity with grease, and make sure the rear seal is installed in the correct direction. Would be a shame to have to pull the engine again to perform that simple maintenance task. Cheap insurance IMHO!

As far as the complete engine, a scrub brush, degreaser, and hose will go a long way toward a closer inspection to identify anything else that may be suspect. I realize you don't want to waste money but this is a great opportunity to look closer for leaking seals, gaskets, brackets, abraided wires, etc. Much easier to replace or repaint them while on the engine stand than back in the boat.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Joe...a volvo mechanic I've been friends with since '79 looked at the bell housing and said ""oh these bearings are fine...no play, no sound...you kept 'em well lubed"

Guess I could change 'em out myself...do you need a press to set the seals?

Also, a buddy suggested testing the freeze plugs with a screwdriver hammered into the center of the plug. That sure didn't sound right....any thoughts?

If you don't want to change the bearings, it would at least be a good idea to get the old chunks of dried grease out of there and clean things up. Not meaning to disrespect a professional mechanic, I'm just thinking that after 30 years, it could stand cleaning up and fresh grease verified in the bearngs and cavity.

Bearings and shaft are held in place with snap rings. No need for a press.
View attachment Flywheel_cover_bearings.pdf

Not sure how you would test the core plugs but one more thing worth checking is the distributor. Easy to remove with the engine out to clean, inspect, and re-oil the springs and advance weghts.

Last edited:
As Joe and Rick suggested, I pulled the 30 yr old seals/ bearings out....and to my surprise the FACTORY installed aft seal was in backwards...that is the opening/spring was NOT facing aft...I'm the second owner...and knew the first...this engine had never been pulled...

Has anyone else seen this?

Back