Logo

What noise would you expect from a bad gimble bearing/or on going bad?

rustymich

Regular Contributor
Can anyone tell me what the noise maybe if the gimble bearing is going bad if I turn the wheel left/right it makes a grinding noise,straight no noise thanks all.....89 350/w cobra outdrive :confused:

that sounds more like a u-joint problem

either way, you want to pull the drive and see if water is in the bellows

then just roll the gimbal by hand to see if it feels rough

Then use a alignment bar before you reinstall the drive, make sure you use spline grease.

You running the drive fully up all the time ?

There is no water in the bellows just grease,this was rebuilt but this noise continues just want it to go away pulling drive next week to replace the u-joints supplied by the rebuilder and a new gimble bearing when the drive was off before I and another mechanic checked it and felt it was good as well as greased but Im just going to replace it..Also had the mechanic check engine alignment he said the tool and driv wnet in without force I ordered my own tool to be sure..

Sounds like you've got all the bases covered with the new u-joints and gimble, definitely want to check alignment after putting in the new gimble....good luck!

Replaced all items listed greased and aligned no noise now it seems to like it better now as well thats weird....By the way it was the u-joints gimbal was good put new in anyways thought the u-joints?

Last edited:
Back