Logo

What is the difference or upgrades from 1999 50hp 4 stroke on up??

crfowler7

Im looking at motors I have one thats ridiculously clean and very low hours 1999 bf50a which is a 50hp 4 stroke.

Ive looked in person at multiple years from 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007. I dont see any difference!! besides the hood and shape. Can anyone help me out on this?

I appreciate any responses. Thanks!!!

first post btw but not first time on here. I have two boats (so stupid) so Im always working on something of course.

Well, I just typed an answer, but somehow I hit the wrong key and it got wiped out....so here goes again.

The items that have not changed to any great extend (if any) are the head, block, and lower unit.

The 1999...differs from the others mostly by the carburetors. It has a standard choke. To start, you advance the throttle, activate the choke, and turn the key to start.

The others utilize fuel enrichment type of carburet ors. To start, you do not advance the throttle or choke the engine. You just turn the key to start.

Once you get to the 2007, the ignition system changed somewhat which also changed the tachometer output. Before this, there were occasional issues with tachometer operation.

Of course, once 2008 came around, the ignition and fuel design changed to fuel injection....which changes things considerably.

That is the best I can do off the top of my head. I may have missed something, so I hope others add their thoughts.

Mike

I have a 97 bf50 and for the right price of course. I believe it's one of the best, solid, trouble free motors ever made. I'm sure there are many here who will back me up that that era of Hondas were fantastic workhorses. But as with any machinery is must be looked after. Pull the spark plugs to check the burn colour, pull the dipstick to check the oil colour and for water in oil and hear it start and run if you can.
There is always a risk buying an older used motor but looked after this is one of the best out there.
good luck.

Mike,

Thanks so much for you reply I def. learned from it. From what I have heard standard choke bother me. If I go with the 99 am I gonna waste more money in the future trying to track down old parts for it? As in will the money I save by buying an older motore sent in parts because its older?

Thanks again for our reply.

Dean,

Thanks for the reply. As I said I reply to mikes response, I am kind of worried that the older models parts will be more expensive. I ralize an 85 cn run better than a 2005 in e right hands!

Thanks for your reply.
Right now I narrowed down to a 99 bf50a very very low hours, or coupe 40-50hp Hondas with regular use and hours.

Any thoughts on the two vs each other?
TIA!!

I am not sure this will be much of an answer.

At this point, as far as I know, all of the key parts for all the 50's are still available. The key in your quest will be how well maintained were the motors and how is the compression. iT should be around 200 psi (with motor at full throttle).

It sometimes is better to buy one with some hours on it rather than one that has been sitting. Regular oil and gear lube changes....water pump replacements....motor run with fuel treatment (to minimize carbon buildup)........medium speed use rather than a lot of idling......

If one has been sitting, there is a tendency for critters to build nests under the flywheel and can cause timing belt issues. Sitting also causes the impeller to harden.

Bottom line...if possible (and the motor is on a boat)....take it out and run it on the water. Just running on a hose will not tell you if you have any issues. If it has a carburetor or spark issue....or....a cylinder issue, you will know right away....if on the water and under load.

One thing to watch out for on the older ones is delaminating magnets on the flywheel. You can hear it as the motor runs....there is a very high pitch whistle that gets higher in pitch as the motor rpms increase. It is the sound of the edge of one or more of the magnets touching either the exciter or charge coil as the flywheel rotates. You normally can also see metal shavings under the flywheel area.

As Deanmck said, the 40's and 50's are workhorses and it takes a lot to kill them. I have seen no major issues with any of them since they were introduced unless there was physical damage due to an accident or the engine oil was never changed in a timely manner.

Good luck in your quest.

Mike

Back