Logo

What is the best used 2cycle outboard motor in the 200hp range

dave

Contributing Member
iam getting rid of my omc str

iam getting rid of my omc stringers and converting to outboards never had one before and the bucks are to tight to go with a 4cycle. so i need a little help here thanks guys

" It all depends on who you ta

" It all depends on who you talk to. Some will say they will own nothing but a Mercury, others wouldn't have a Mercury if it were given to them.The best advice I could offer is to do some research on the Internet, go to different dealers to get literature on their product and then try to make a decision, and hopefully the best decision. "

" I would aggree with Tom. The

" I would aggree with Tom. There are going to be folks out there that will tell you that Mercury is better than an OMC .... others that will sing the praises for Yamaha, and the only thing that will remain constant is that in almost every case, the guy you are talking to will favor the brand of motor that sits on the back of his boat.

Each will tell you how dependable, or easy to work on his motor is.

Just as in selecting a pickup truck (or SUV) to pull your boat with, the best one is the one that you are happiest with. Take your time, ask everyone what they think, read what you can find.

Call around and get prices on common items for the different motors you are interested in. Check on things like carb kits, plugs, coils, and such. See how it compares with others.

Personally I am an OMC guy, but ... thats my choice "

" I agree with both of the &#3

" I agree with both of the "Gentlemen" above. My personal choice is Mercury, but that is me. Now for a used outboard. Check around and look for a motor that will fit what you need. When you find one that you like, check it very carefully. If the owner has any maintenance records, review them. Have him start it and go though all of the normal checks. If a 2 stroke outboard is taken care of, it should last for a long time, no matter who manufactured it.

Good luck and have fun on the Water "

Ask yourself this Dave. Who w

Ask yourself this Dave. Who went BELLY UP? Mercury or OMC. The answer to that question will tell you which American Company has the innovation and quality to go toe to toe with the Japanese Companies.

" Ramrod, I guess since my OMC

" Ramrod, I guess since my OMC is only 48 years old maybe you have a point.

Now on to my point. The best motor for any gentleman is the one he is happy with. I don't knock Mercury, they have a good motor. But, if my machine can still run as well as it does given its age, I think your selling it a little short on quality.

As for innovation, to each his own. I personally find that with each new innovation new and exciting tools and test equipment are needed in order to keep those new motors running, which is percisely why I have an old one. I can buy it cheaper than the test equipment required to do simple repairs on the ones oozing innovation from every nook and cranny and it will still scoot me across the water.

Nuf said. "

" Dave , If it were up to me I

" Dave , If it were up to me I'd go for somthing made by the Japs (Yamaha Suzuki or Tohatsu)as I believe the Yanks don't know haw to build outboards, Sorry guys but I do seem to have a lot less trouble with the Jap stuff. But take Johnyboy's advice and check prices of parts,Maybe better with a Merc or Omc in your area. "

Heres my 2 cents of wisdom. G

Heres my 2 cents of wisdom. Go with whatever is locally serviced. No sense in buying a motor and have to drive 200 miles for parts or service. Kim

" For the past 40 years, 90 pe

" For the past 40 years, 90 percent of the Indians, Eskimos and fishing guides I know in Alaska and northern Canada have used Mercury outboards. Mercury either has a good bunch of sales people or makes a pretty reliable product. 'Natural selection' is a powerful recommendation!! "

Back