Logo

What can I expect to find with leaking drive boot

I pulled the boat out of the water last Saturday. I hate barnacles but after a few hours of scraping and power washing was able to see most of the outdrive and hull. I can see that the upper rubber boot that covers the universal joint has a bad tear in it and you can see part of the steel coil wire poking out. I know that this means that water has been inside this boot for who knows how long.
Question #1 Would you suggest that I order a replacement universal even before I remove the transmission? I have seen reference to Spicer universals as a replacement but need a part number if anyone has that information. The drive is a 280 and the engine is a 572A
Quesiton # 2 I replaced the single PDS bearing with a sealed bearing a few seasons ago but with the water intrusion that I must have experienced would that bearing also need replacement?
Thanks in advance for any and all help

Rocky
 
Rocky, my previous post was via my iPhone. Here's a better response for you.

I can see that the upper rubber boot that covers the universal joint has a bad tear in it and you can see part of the steel coil wire poking out. I know that this means that water has been inside this boot for who knows how long.
Yes.... a rip or tear in the "bellows" is certainly not good!


Question #1 Would you suggest that I order a replacement universal even before I remove the transmission? I have seen reference to Spicer universals as a replacement but need a part number if anyone has that information. The drive is a 280 and the engine is a 572A

The 570 series would not be a 280 drive. More likely an SP, SP A etc drive.
As you can see here, these bearing crosses are externally clipped (I.E., not the internally clipped 5-1306X).


10471.jpg


Try the Meyle 3520997 bearing cross. You'd best be sitting down when you price these.

The external clips provided with most likely be too thick, so you'll want to use the OEM if re-usable.

DATA_26%5C845063.jpg

OR................
1-457fbaf6aac9e.jpg



Quesiton # 2 I replaced the single PDS bearing with a sealed bearing a few seasons ago but with the water intrusion that I must have experienced would that bearing also need replacement?

The 570 series shows being OEM with the double bearing PDS flywheel cover.
If you have the charcoal gray single bearing PDS flywheel cover, someone may have changed it.
(note the OEM grease fitting at 12:00 O'clock position)


10972.jpg


If single bearing, this will be a 6206-2RS or 6206RZ, etc.

645cc58a-3434-4698-a974-0c51b144784c.jpg
 
Rick, Thank you so very much for your quick response to my question. I hate to ask but is you could refer back to my post of 06/02/2011 you will see that we went around and around trying to figure out just what this boat had as an out drive motor combination. The drive is a 280 the motor is a 1993 572A bought brand new from Volvo Penta. I have made the decision to replace the single PDS bearing again with another sealed bearing just in case the water intrusion got to the original and will also replace the universal. Thanks for you help and interest.

Rocky
 
Rick, Thank you so very much for your quick response to my question. I hate to ask but is you could refer back to my post of 06/02/2011 you will see that we went around and around trying to figure out just what this boat had as an out drive motor combination.
Find the thread, copy/past the URL here in this thread, and I'd be glad to look at it.


..
 
Rocky, here's your post #1.

I have a 280 drive and am concerned about the condition of the drive shaft bearing(s). It seems that there are several posting regarding this issue and I gather that there are either one or two bearings dependent on what out drive you have. I have three (3) manuals the latest being the VP workshop manual and all three give the drive shaft almost no information. At the moment the engine is out of the boat and the outdrive is also removed so it is a great time to service the bearing(s). The drive carries a part number 2810X77B. The X in that part number is not readable. Could you please tell me if the drive shaft has a single bearing or two bearings from this part number. The stories about the snap rings have me worried.

Note below that SEQ #'s 5, 6 and 7 are the same between any of these.
IOW, no matter which one you have, the snap rings and AFT seal are the same.
Same difficulty or ease at removing either.
However, with the single bearing PDS, the PDS can be removed without the need to pull the engine, whereas the double bearing PDS requires engine removal.


The double bearing Volvo Penta PDS V-8 flywheel cover will be a red 1 pc like this one.
I always install the 18" grease gun extension hose in these before they leave here.

attachment.php



.......... or a Borg Warner flywheel cover, with the Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing.
(the red flywheel cover here is a Borg Warner pattern cover (Ford engine)..... the whitish unit is a B/W -slash- VP PDS adapter housing)
Where you see the screw, is where 1/8" PT can be added for a zirk fitting or an extension hose w/ zirk fitting at the end.

DSC06084.JPG




The charcoal gray flywheel cover with the single bearing PDS, will look like this one!
Note that there is no grease fitting.

12793_big.gif

Or this in living color.
VP3856938_edit1b.jpg





.
 
Last edited:
Hi,

Any chance you would know which DPS bearing I should have? It's a DP-C1 1.95 and Ford 5.8l combo. Volvo calls it a FSIPHUCCE. Boat is a 1995 model year manufactured late 1994. I did the U-joints and bellows due to a rip, but probably should have done the bearing(s) too. There is a bit of a whistle over 2200 rpm. and I think it is coming from there. It's really difficult to look back there at the back of the engine on my setup. I was able to get a picture of a plate back there that said;

Volvo Penta
3868299
DP-S
No. 4111521512


Thanks!





Rocky, here's your post #1.



Note below that SEQ #'s 5, 6 and 7 are the same between any of these.
IOW, no matter which one you have, the snap rings and AFT seal are the same.
Same difficulty or ease at removing either.
However, with the single bearing PDS, the PDS can be removed without the need to pull the engine, whereas the double bearing PDS requires engine removal.


The double bearing Volvo Penta PDS V-8 flywheel cover will be a red 1 pc like this one.
I always install the 18" grease gun extension hose in these before they leave here.

attachment.php



.......... or a Borg Warner flywheel cover, with the Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing.
(the red flywheel cover here is a Borg Warner pattern cover (Ford engine)..... the whitish unit is a B/W -slash- VP PDS adapter housing)
Where you see the screw, is where 1/8" PT can be added for a zirk fitting or an extension hose w/ zirk fitting at the end.

DSC06084.JPG




The charcoal gray flywheel cover with the single bearing PDS, will look like this one!
Note that there is no grease fitting.

12793_big.gif

Or this in living color.
VP3856938_edit1b.jpg





.
 
Thanks Ricardo.

I hate to be a bother, but this is all very new to me and may or may not be above my pay grade. But is this also telling me whether I have a single or a double and whether or not I would need to pull the engine to replace? I saw what looked like a sealed bearing held in place by a large snap ring when the yoke was out. I should have taken a darn picture. Also, any idea how long they will last before failure once they start whistling? And I'm not sure about the grease fitting or screw. I'll try to look again this weekend to see what if anything is there. But if the bearing is sealed, is there even a point to adding the grease fitting?

Thanks in advance.

See posts #2 and #3 again.


.
 
Chris, you are hi-jacking Rocky's thread from October 2013....... which makes it a bit confusing.
Rocky has an earlier 570 w/ 280 drive............ you have the later FSIPHUCCE Ford engine with the DP-C1 1.95

Rocky has the double beaing PDS... you have the single bearing PDS.
Rocky has to pull his engine to change these bearings...... the single bearing PDS does not require engine removal.


Chris Rohde said:
And I'm not sure about the grease fitting or screw. I'll try to look again this weekend to see what if anything is there. But if the bearing is sealed, is there even a point to adding the grease fitting?
Being able to lube to any bearing will increase it's life.

With your single bearing PDS flywheel cover, you'd not only be adding a grease fitting, but the F/C itself is not ported to the PDS cavity.
So this would also involve porting the grease to the shaft cavity.
(I have an image showing how this could be done)

If you were to do this, the 6206-2RS sealed bearing now becomes a 6206 open bearing.


I'm glad to help you.... but if you have other questions, it's best to start a new thread!
Fair nuff? :D



.
 
Last edited:
Beyond fair!! :)

Thanks for the input!! I will be sure to start a new thread each time. Thanks again!!



Chris, you are hi-jacking Rocky's thread from October 2013....... which makes it a bit confusing.
Rocky has an earlier 570 w/ 280 drive............ you have the later FSIPHUCCE Ford engine with the DP-C1 1.95

Rocky has the double beaing PDS... you have the single bearing PDS.
Rocky has to pull his engine to change these bearings...... the single bearing PDS does not require engine removal.



Being able to lube to any bearing will increase it's life.

With your single bearing PDS flywheel cover, you'd not only be adding a grease fitting, but the F/C itself is not ported to the PDS cavity.
So this would also involve porting the grease to the shaft cavity.
(I have an image showing how this could be done)

If you were to do this, the 6206-2RS sealed bearing now becomes a 6206 open bearing.


I'm glad to help you.... but if you have other questions, it's best to start a new thread!
Fair nuff? :D



.
 
Back
Top