Logo

What are the functions of these

botaman

Regular Contributor
"Folks,

Sorry for being su

"Folks,

Sorry for being such a noop. Can you guys take a look at the pics 1 and 2. And tell what are they and what kind of fluid should I use for each of them? Thank you very much. This is my first winterize
happy.gif
220536.jpg
220537.jpg
"

"the left is engine oil, right

"the left is engine oil, right is trim pump, some use reg oil ,some use power steering . Whats the manual say?"

"The left one is your drive lu

"The left one is your drive lube reservoir.
It looks like it is at the right level, but if you do have to add fluid, you want Merc High Performance gear lube (greesish color).

The right is your trim pump reservoir.
Normally never needs changing or filling, but if so, use Merc power trim and steering fluid. Obviously this is also used to top up power steering fluid.

For engine oil suggest you use Merc 25W-40 regular or synthetic blend. Don't use automotive 5W-30 oor 10W-30.

Rod"

For the drive and trim lube. D

For the drive and trim lube. Do I have to replace them every year? Thanks for reading again.

"Alex, Preventive Maintenance

"Alex, Preventive Maintenance is an important part of enjoying your boat. All fluids should be changed out at different intervals. You would be wise to keep a Log book for future reference and track your work. FYI, I change out the hydraulic fluid in my Trim Pump bi-annually. Being in the Bilge subjects the Reservoir to humidity, moisture/condensation can invade the fluid. At the very least sample it for clarity and swab the bottom for sediment. Al W."

"Alex;
You should definitely

"Alex;
You should definitely change your drive lube oil annually or every 50 hours. Follow the pocedure for drain and fill.
Then you simply keep your reservoir bottle topped up.

Do you have a maintenance or owners manual?
If so, check it out and follow the advice given.

Rod"

"Rod,I am new to boating and h

"Rod,I am new to boating and have seen this suggestion before but no clarification. So, what is the downside of 5W-30, especially in warmer weather? Thanks Ike"

"Ike;
Opinions vary on the oi

"Ike;
Opinions vary on the oil issue.
Most agree that a boat engine typically works harder than a car or truck engine. It is usually running at 50-75% of full power, whereas a car engine rarely sees more than 15-20% power. This is why boats get such lousy mileage.

The higher power creates more stress and heat and can cause thinner oils to shear and breakdown, thus leaving you with insufficient lubrication. For this reason boats, as well as aircraft, and motorcycle oils are typically specced at higher viscoisty blends so as to minimize wear and provide more safety margin in high heat situations.

Merc inboard and sterndrive oil is a 25W-40 blend, available either as a pure dino oil, or a semi-synthetic blend. There is no magic in Merc oil as such, but you would be well advised to use a 25W-40 or similar blend, whatever brand you choose.

Thinner oils such as 5W-30 are typically used for ease of starting in extreme temperatures (they are thinner oils), and more recently to provide marginally better fuel consumption in cars and trucks.

Rod"

Rod thanks for the explanation

Rod thanks for the explanation!! I always like to know the WHY behind things and this one has been bothering me since I read the oil specs.

Thanks again Ike

"While we are talking oil I&#3

"While we are talking oil I'd like to add this. Older Flat Tappet Lifters are much harder on the Camshaft Lobes. Therefore it is wise to use Oils that have a C-I or C-J designation inside the Certification Seal. These Oils have higher concentrations of Zinc etc.. Most Diesel oils meet this standard. For more info. on Oils check out the site, "Bob is the Oil Guy". Al W."

Back