Logo

What am I missing with this 390970 upgrade kit?

Dave2507

I've got a 69 Evinrude 25, model 25902D.
I pulled the lower unit to reseal it and install the 390970 forward gear upgrade.
I got the forward gear set up on the prop shaft, but in the installation instructions, it says to use a thrust washer between the new forward gear and the clutch dog, which would rest against the dog splines. I'm not sure what thrust washer they mean, because if I try to use the one from the original forward gear, it's too tight and the assembly won't go into the case half.
At any rate, I did not use the thrust washer, and put it all together dry of sealant to check it out. Seems like the gear mesh is too tight to the pinion. If I back off the screws slightly from tight, it feels good. Do I need a thinner pinion thrust washer, or is there maybe a particular thrust washer that's used with the 390971 forward gear...

the instructions clearly say---" do not use a thrust washer "----
That would be for the 390972 kit which uses the 390973 forward gear.
I have the 390970 kit with the 390971 forward gear. It says use thrust washer with 390971, but the one from the original gear is too thick to fit.

Well, I figured it out.
Somehow I had a high spot I didn't notice when I removed the forward bushing pin from the housing. It was just enough to pinch the bearing slightly when it got tightened up.
I figured it was at the forward gear somewhere, because when I loosened just those two screws, it was fine.
So, after taking care of the high spot, everything feels and sounds good, and gear mesh looks good marking the gears.

Back