Logo

Weber Carburetor

wrw

I did a Weber converison kit on my AQ151 Volvo. I am having problems with hesitation going from idle to full speed. Sometime under load it seems like it is starving for gas but will clear out with pumping the throttle a few times. I have adjusted the idle adjusting screws by the instruction that came with the kit and have also tried different setting on them. Has anyone had this problem? It is very frustrating when you are in the ocean working against swells or in the fog.

I have had the Weber conversion for my AQ151C for a couple of years now and I’ve found the hesitation at the transition of high and low speed jets to be a fact, and I believe it may be a carb design flaw in that the tuning of the low-speed circuit is so very critical. Try this: tune your carb using the directions, making very sure that the idle set screw is not scheduling the throttle plates. If it is, your settings will be out. Then, go out on the water and see how it performs. Then, turn the low speed jet screws (2) ¼ turn richer and see how the transition works. Then, set the screws back to your before the ¼ turn rich and then 1/8 turn leaner. Try a throttle advance and see if there is a difference in ‘smoothness’. If you find an improvement try leaning the screws minutely until the engine runs too rough. I have found that the leanest possible setting to be the best.
I believe that the shipped and available low-speed jets are too large for our engines. But, I’ve also found that the problem is not so pronounced when the engine has been run some time at a high power setting and it is up to operating temperature.
Keep us informed!

I had those same symptoms with my aq151b with the dual solex pa1 carbs even after rebuilding them until I replaced the fuel pump,also was worse after long runs at near wide open throttle.

I rechecked the setting best run at 1 1/2 turns out. Still have hesition and backfire pop at times. I have done some research on this carburetor and found that the emuision tubes may need to be changed from F-50 to F-66. Any thoughts on that.

Back