Logo

Water Pump

robert

New member
How difficult is it to replace a water pump? I would like to try this myself and do not want to get in over my head. Working on outboards is new to me and after reading about replacing the water pump every 12 months I worry. My outboard is 4 years old and runs good. Never had the pump replaced. Also where is the best place to buy a factory manual on repair? Thanks for your info.
 
The annual pump replacement recommendation is based on salt, sand, and silt in the water. In clean freshwater, we often get 3 years between pump service. If the telltale is peeing freely, you are still OK, but at 4 years, dry rot is starting to set in... it's definitely time.

What is your model/serial? No special tools are required, but average mechanic skills are needed. The first time doing this will require extra time and patience, especially reinserting the LU after the pump has beed serviced. The procedure is to disengage shifter, unbolt/drop the LU, and then unbolt the pump housing to reveal the impeller, cup, and guide plate. Be careful not to drop/lose the impeller drive key. Installation is just the reverse. We have some customers who have us do the job, and many others who do it themselves. Depends on your skill and patience capabilities.

A Factory service manual (don't bother with the aftermarket "door stop" manuals) is available from any dealer, including me.
 
Thanks Paul

I have had a lot of experience with various mechanical maintenance and the tools to do just about anything. So I need to drop the lower unit to expose the pump assembly in order to replace it. I figure if I mess up I will just take it to the dealer. Would you recommend replacing the whole assembly or just the impeller. How would you decide? Thanks
 
FWIW , maybe you can learn from my mistake!

I just got through trying to change my impeller on my mid 90's NS90A after about 5 years in saltwater and the 4 bolts for the impeller housing were oxidized and we snapped them off in the lower unit housing. We had to cut the lower pump housing off and take the lower unit to a machine shop to get the cut off bolts extracted ($170). I later found out if I would have just stopped and taken the lower unit in to my Nissan/Tohatsu mechanic after I broke the first bolt they could have gotten the other three bolts out without breaking them off like I did and I could have saved money...
 
Back
Top