Logo

Water Pump Drive Gear for a 1961 Crusader Marine 283

Big Sur

I have a 1961 (I think) Crusader Marine engine in my boat (Model 185-RH, Serial 4378). In those years they used a phenolic gear in the bell housing to drive the tachometer and the water pump (Jabsco 9280 - now discontinued). There was a cone shaped phenolic gear that mated to the large gear and drove the water pump. It has a metal hub that fits onto the keyed 1/2" pump shaft. Unfortunately, my gear has spun off of that knurled metal hub taking some of the plastic with it so it's a sloppy fit now. I think my only option is to build a jig to assure alignment and use some high strength epoxy.
Unless…someone has an idea when I might find a replacement. The manual calls it part number 1306. Anybody out there with some really old part? I can take a picture it you think you have something. I have searched the internet to no avail.

The gear has 50 teeth, 9/16" wide and the gear is offset 1.25 inches from the hub (cone shaped)

Can't imagine phenolic gears...especially in the bell housing...that said, I don't think too many of us see engines in the 50 year age range. You may have more luck over at oldmarineengine.com...

Unless you have free access to a machine shop, I wouldn't even attempt the repair.

As far as getting a tach to work, just gen an electrical one to replace the mechanical drive one...if you want to keep the mechanical tach, you may be able to find a distributor with a tach drive available for marine applications...

as far as the <raw> water pump goes, I'd consider plumbing in a "newer" design so you can get parts for it since they are regular maintenance items...

Back