Logo

Water pump and tell tale questions

underdog57

Hi
I'm puzzled on what's going on here .
I changed the water pump on the 85 120 hp . It had not been peeing out the tell tale . It's still not after the new pump ...
I had restriction at the tell tale and blew it out with air . still nothing pouring out.
Took off both thermostats and started it up , water come out the hole there , not thetell tale though ..

Not sure how fast the water should come out the thermostat holes , it took awhile to get there then a steady stream . not a big gush ...

I did notice the brass water tube was bent and I straightened it a bit better . can it be replaced ?

Thanks in advance
Bob

Just got the boat and want to get it out there !;)

If impeller was installed properly,sealed,water should fly out of housings .Seal at top of water tube could be damaged or water tube could be misaligned with seal. PLace hand on head for a six second count while running,can you hold it there without burning fingers, Use an infrared thermometer if you have one. water tube can be replaced,sometimes power head has to come off dependent on serial# and brand of outboard.most can be installed with l/unit removed. TRy a piece of weedwacker plastic trim wire up there in the telltale numerous times. Last,Is engine overheating??

Its a 1985 Evinrude 120 ..
It seems to get some water out the tell tale now .It spurts randomly

Disconnected the tell tale tube that goes to the block elbow ...it's free to that point
The engine is not getting hot running it for several minutes ...it's quite cool like like luke warm .
Can try hooking up a hose directly to the water tube with lower unit off see what happens . Seems like it will be interesting replacing the water tube and seal ?
It is bent and straightened out , might be bent up ?
Will follow up on progress !
Thanks very much

blew air in the water tube and can hear air blowing back in the mid section . must be something plugged partially at the water tube or grommet .
How is that to replace or unclog ?, I'll try pushing a wire up there
will follow up
Thanks again

Back