Logo

Water outputhow hot

"i have a 89 mercury 8 hp outb

"i have a 89 mercury 8 hp outboard.the water coming out the water pump hole is a lot hotter than the water that comes out of my 80 hp outboard.how hot should the water be?i can hold my hand under it but it is pretty hot.thanks in advance for responses.thanks,Bill"

"I do alot of work on the 6/8/

"I do alot of work on the 6/8/9.9/15 horse series of small mercs. And I guess "hot" is a relative term.

They tend to get (warm) - but you shouldn't see steam and you should be able to keep your hand under the flow without a problem.

As long as the flow seems "strong" all should be fine. The motor should have a thermostat (which may be starting to malfunction) and could account for the elevated temp.

You can't really compare it to your 80 however, the block on the 80 is more than 10 times the weight of the 8 and will hold alot more cooling water.

So if the flow is good, and you can keep your hand under it, maybe check the thermostat and keep an occasional eye on it..."

Thanks for the response.that m

Thanks for the response.that makes me feel better.the flow is great and what you said makes sense.thanks again for the help.see ya' Bill

Back