Logo

Water in the oil

sledderdoc

Regular Contributor
Howdy folks buddy has a 1989 3.7L alpha 1 drive. Closed cooling notice milky overfilled oil after last outing. Going to have a boat repair weekend to have a look. First off is a 3.7l a dodge?? Also I was hoping to get a list of everything to check from head gasket on etc. Antifreeze was a little low, oil smelled sweet don't suspect a crack or I think the antifreeze would have been gone in seconds. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Norm

no it's a bastard mixed mongrel.

You could have a cracked block, mani, or the heat exchanger, or head gasket, or riser.

first do a compression check.

Get back to us.

Yes you guessed it i hate that motor with passion but i do know it well.

I will with others here help you if we can.

Honestly it would make a good anchor.

Thanks for the reply. I will be a couple days with that as we wont be back to the boat till next weekend. It runs absolutely fine btw. ??? I'm really hoping its just a gasket. If the compression is good I'm gonna pull it apart some to check other things as well.

Thanks for the reply. I will be a couple days with that as we wont be back to the boat till next weekend. It runs absolutely fine btw. ??? I'm really hoping its just a gasket. If the compression is good I'm gonna pull it apart some to check other things as well.

Ayuh,... Those ole 470s are known for blownin' the cam seal, 'n dumpin' antifreeze into the oil...
Usually a speedy-sleeve, 'n a new seal is the Fix...

So we have been busy this summer and no chance to look at the boat yet. In the mean time the owner took it to the local boat shop and they said they ran it up for three hours and the oil was clean. ????

Back