Logo

Water in outdrive oil

despy

Regular Contributor
"Problem started when I had a

"Problem started when I had a local marine repair shop replace my lower shift cable.Last fall, when I changed the oil in the drive, I noticed it was a tan color. Checked it again after a couple trips out and it was not as bad but starting to show signs of water.
My question is,,, what could they have done wrong or possibly left out when changing the cable? Yes, I replaced the gaskets on both fill hole and vent."

REPAIR SHOP ALWAYS WRONG! Last

REPAIR SHOP ALWAYS WRONG! Last week I had a flat fixed on my car and the next day it won't start. Must have been them......

"Alot of pleasure boaters get

"Alot of pleasure boaters get their prop shafts wrapped w/fishing line. Last Aug. while trolling, a hotshot boater pulled out of the idle zone behind me, looked both ways but didn't see me waving my arms frantically, and hit the throttle. In about 10 seconds his prop removed 200 yds. of 12 lb. monofilament from my reel. He did me a favor since I was going to change line anyway."

"If its an Alpha Gen II, they

"If its an Alpha Gen II, they are known for leaky lower shift shaft seals. That is the first thing I would check.
It can be replaced without dissassembling the drive.
Otherwise the best way to find a leaky seal is to have it pressure tested.

Rod"

"Tks for the replies and I thi

"Tks for the replies and I think you have nailed it . Had an episode of fishing line entanglement last fall .
Oh, and to "tsb" , even though your comment may have been an effort at humour, it came across as something quite different. People come to this site to either request help or to give it. Your post was neither !!"

Barry;
I think tsb's comm

Barry;
I think tsb's comment was only tongue in cheek humor. At least that's the way I took it.
No harm; no foul.

Rod

"Rod, you are probably right a

"Rod, you are probably right and I guess it`s another case of not  having a " tone of voice" in the written word therefore it becomes hard to tell what the poster`s intention was and benefit of doubt should apply.If it was,  as you say,tongue in cheek, then he has my apology.That being said, presuming that the fishing line incident was the cause of my problem, does it follow that it may have cut into a seal ? Is this seal accessable by removing the prop , etc and replacing?BTW, this being an older 233, it has had the original MR drive replaced with an Alpha One.
Appreciate any advice to follow,
Tks"

"Rod, I appreciate your suppor

"Rod, I appreciate your support but my comments were pure sarcasm.
Barry, wasn't asking could be wrong with his drive he was asking how the service shop could have done something wrong or left something out to cause the problem. As a mechanic I take that as an insult.
Bob"

"Bob;
OK, I see it from your

"Bob;
OK, I see it from your point of view, and your feelings are understandable. I guess we have all been guilty of trying to find someone to blame when something happens that we can't figure out immediately; I know I sure am guilty!

Barry;
That seal is likely the cause. You have to pull the propshaft holder and retainer nut to get to it.
This can be done with the drive on the boat. You should likely have your drive pressure tested to confirm this first.

Rod"

"Rod, tks again for the assist

"Rod, tks again for the assistance. Marine supplier advised me there are 2 seals on the prop shaft so I presume they face opposite directions, one to keep the oil in and one to keep water out. He didn`t have stock so haven`t pulled the old ones yet but will be interesting to see if any melted monofilm on prop shaft or seal damage."

"Barry:

Was there any monof

"Barry:

Was there any monof. line wrapped around the prop shaft when you pulled it? If not, as Rod said, then drain the OD oil and pressure test it to find the leak. Good luck.
snow.gif
"

Stll waiting for the seals. No

Stll waiting for the seals. Not able to get out of their warehouse on weekend. Will advise what we find.

Back