Logo

Water in lower unit OIL

bocephus101

Hello have a 89 Evinrude 50hp E50BELCIC was leaking oil from around prop and exhaust area replaced the prop shaft seals getting water in lower unit oil then removed lower unit had a guy check the unit he said he replaced a seal. Still getting oil in lower unit. I did a pressure check of unit put 15lbs on and it held the pressure at least 10 minutes. I replaced the drain screws washer seals put new oil in and now it still gets water in oil. No oil or such is coming out prop or around prop the exhaust area is clean looking no oil leaks anywhere motor starts and runs great idles good. Where can water be getting in oil now?. Thanks

The lower unit you have only fits 89 to 92 models.----The 93 and later ones had a bigger spline at the top of the driveshaft.-----And those lower units are not robust.-----So find the leak.-----Shift rod seal ( o-ring ) replaced ?

Update I have performed a pressure test on foot and it held pressure pretty good lost couple of LBs over 15-20 minutes then did a vacuum test which was a total failure could not read anything tried pumping like 20 times it never moved. As of now I have not removed the foot just tried the two test. Have been using the boat a lot lately and sort of hate to be without it. Anyone have any specific ideas what might be wrong in foot.
Thanks for your help

Shift rod O-ring or driveshaft seal, as sir Racer suggests. Saltwater motor? A pressure test should be done with unit drained of oil and at 70 to 90 degree ambient temperature....and....while moving shift rod as well as turning and wiggling shafts. Use soapy water to identify the leak. Vacuum tests are good too but for some, it may be harder to find the leak. The oil has to get out, before the water can come in?? So what came first, the "chicken, or the egg"?

Not salt water fresh only. All test were done with drained foot. After getting foot back from guy that worked on it I pressure tested foot it checked good. Filled with oil but still getting water in oil. Used motor for several months before draining again and at this point (now) is when did the vacuum test with foot still on motor. Thank you guys for your help Just hesitant to put more money in this old motor and do not have the tools
to pull the bearings and seals out if I remove the foot again.

No special tools required to change / install seals.----Lots of tutorials on u-tube.-----You can get your masters degree in --seal changing ---in 1 hr of study.

Racerone got a real chuckle out of that. I saw some of those videos even called a mechanic buddy he didn`t want anything to do with outboard LOL
I do agree it does not seem that big a deal other than the fact that I am 80 and injured a knee last year but knee getting better back fishing now.
Thanks and take care.

Back