Logo

Water at flywheel and rusted starter

Joe bb

New member
I have a BF90D and starter quit so as I was replacing it i noticed water sitting below the flywheel. What to do now?
 
Hi, I can't answer your question. I was hoping someone else here might have seen this before and could give you some good advice.

Somwtimes it's just because the post isn't read by people that you don't get an answer.

So, I'm replying to "bump" you back up to the top of the mail list. Hopefully you'll get some suggestions about this issue.

Good luck.
 
Find the leak.

Make sure the motor is completely dry. Start and run the motor while looking as best as you can to see from where the motor is coming.

Maybe run the motor in a barrel of water that has been brightly dyed to help you spot the source.

What age BF90D? Hopefully it is not a hole due to corrosion.
 
The "find the leak" advice from boscoe is something I would heed and should have suggested myself.

I see from the parts diagram that the block thermostat (item 9) as well as the water temperature sensor (item 16) are both located just above the starter. Link attached below.

It's possible that a seal.(item 11 or item 31) for one of those components is leaking. If so, that would probably be the easiest and least expensive fault to repair.
Here's hoping you get lucky and the answer is just that simple.


Good luck.
 
A couple of possibilities come to mind in that case

A problem with the water tube alignment or the seal ring...item 9 in link directly below.

That might spray pump effluent on to the mainshaft.


Or....maybe....if it seems it happens mostly when under way....a hole or disconnection in the tubing for the speedometer sensor. If it's set up for that.
Item 2, 14, 21 or 44 in link below.

That might spray water on to the shaft when moving forward.



Just guessing though.

Good luck.
 
Back
Top