Logo

Water and sand in lower unit

aviator173

"78 evinrude 85 hp, removed lo

"78 evinrude 85 hp, removed lower unit to inspect water pump impeller. discover what i believe to be 25 years of sand oil and water. can any one tell me what causes this and how i can fix it. will a water pump repair kit solve my problem. there is also a hole/port just to the rear of the water pump very burnt. what is it? thanks"

"Are you saying when you remov

"Are you saying when you removed the lower unit the sand/oil/water were on top of the lower unit where the drive shaft comes out of the lower unit?

If that is the case, I would say that someone ran the motor in shallow water and sucked the sand into the cooling system. The oil might have been there from lack of combustion and water is supposed to be there. I'm assuming the the motor might have stalled and the sand wasn't flushed out of the system and had time to combine with the oil and water and harden enough to not be flushable."

thanks. going to clean it up a

thanks. going to clean it up and give it some new gaskets and a new impeller. the mechanic said that is all it needed after he took a look at it

Back