Logo

Water 1/2 way up the engine??

cubbo

Let me start by saying....I am a new forum member, kind of new boat owner, and very appreciative of all the support and advice found on the forum.

I have a 1984 Glassport with a 1984 OMC Sterndrive 2.5L (252STHRCRA). I recently had the aft motor mount board/stringer break apart in tow. This caused the motor to shift down and to the right (looking aft). I didn't know this happened until the boat was in the water and found the boot/bellows/transome seal? to be torn from the shift. I took on much water (about half way up the motor). I was able to get it out quick and let it drain, tow home and open up. I sprayed some "blaster" in the plug holes, carb, and distributor. I let it sit a day or 2. Would not start....as one would expect. Searched the forum and also bought the SELOC manual. Started troubleshooting....no spark. Replaced plugs for good measure...found the coil to be bad, replaced, found the condenser to be bad, replaced the rotor, point, cap, and condenser. Still no luck. Spent hours trying to find the correct firing order...found conflicting info but eventually got it correct I think. Engine now starts and runs.

What else needs done (besides the obvious repair of the boot and mount stuff). What other preventative measures should I take? Clean all grounds? Does anyone know of a schematic or diagram for this motor? Point gap set using a feeling gauge, not a dwell meter. Did not remove the distributor so do I need to mess with timing? How about where to find an OEM manual, paper or PDF??

I know I will have some boat repair questions but for now I am looking at engine.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Be sure to check the engine oil!! Likely starter or solenoid =WILL!! go bad from corosion! Id get the stringers & boot repaired !! Period -prior to any use if keeping boat. Get Dwell set !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with a meter!!!!!!!!! Need settings -just ask!

thanks, my plan is to just drain the oil and add new...maybe add some sea foam to it also. I ordered new boot/seal. as for the stringers....I need to pull the engine to really investigate and see what I am up against. I just really wanted to see everything running good (on muffs that is) before pulling the engine. This way when it is put back in...if there are issues I can narrow down how and why.

Dwell, the settings are on the engine. I will try and find a meter and post back

Back