Logo

VP 280

bob_on_this

Regular Contributor
"I have a VP question. I have

"I have a VP question. I have been boating for some 35 years, and have owned just about every type of drive system, but never a VP. I am looking at a 1985, 28' with a VP 280.
So here's my question, with no power trim, and
the used of a small 12vdc motor (I'm guessing it
runs on a samll gear) can you run the engine forward and reverse (to get onto and off of the trailer, or a beach) with the unit up, or part way up?
I run my Merc Brovo 2 half way up all the time at Lake Powell in "skinny" water.
proud.gif

Thanks
Bob"

"No VP w/o power trim should u

"No VP w/o power trim should use the tilt motor as a "trim". Running in gear with the drive trimmed up is pretty much limited to idle or a few revs above in forward... In reverse, the drive will come up and almost out of the water.
If running around half way up "all the time" is your operating profile, I'd stick to a VP with power trim. By and large, the 200-290 series VPs are much more robust and reliable (if properly maintained) than Mercs.

Running onto and off a beach is possible (I do it all the time here in Barnegat Bay) with the power tilt mechanism, but as indicated above, dead idle or a hundred RPMs above is all. Anything more than that and you run the risk of bending the S/S jack rod that lifts the drive and then you'll have a real problem."

"Thansk Robert,
So if the dri

"Thansk Robert,
So if the drive is all the way down, it is "locked" somehow, and you can back down with a fair amount of power, but if it's tilted up at all, and you run in reverse, the prop wash (at idle)will rise the unit all the way up, or will the drive stay down?

Thanks
Bob"

"A spring loaded latch holds t

"A spring loaded latch holds the drive down, i.e., some force is required to overcome the springs in order for the drive to lift. This latch is released when you lift the drive with the tilt mechanism. When you shift into reverse, the latch is prevented from releasing, thereby preventing the prop thrust from lifting the drive. It is a fairly simple and almost bullet proof mechanism provided it is properly adjusted and kept clean."

"Thanks Robert,
I guess I&#39

"Thanks Robert,
I guess I'm still a little confused.
Lets say you are tring to load the baot on a trailer, so you have the drive UP about half way and are motoring up to the trailer at idle. Now, if your get blown off a little, and need to back up so you can try again, will the drive stay half way up, of will it try to shoot up out of the water.

Sorry, but this has happened more than a few times, and I have seen some posts where the guy did damage to his I/O when it came up hard.

Can a power trim be added to a 280 drive? If so would allow backing up with the I/O half way up?
Thanks
Bob"

"Hi Bob

Just to jump in on

"Hi Bob

Just to jump in on this disucssion. I have been doing a lot of research into this issue having just aquired a boat with the same basic 1985 Aquamatic 280 leg as you. i.e. one without power trim.

If you only have the elctric tilt, i.e. the most basic configuration and not the hydraulic trim package, then once the drive is out of the locking mechanism called a "retaining pawl" for "leg full down", i.e. your tilt light is illuminated on the dash, then it is only the fragile tilt motor arm that is supporting the drive unit's weight and forward thrust. This means that you can not use reverse reverse, only forward thrust is possible at idle but nothing more. Anything more than idle revs will put too much strain on the electric tilt mechanism and damage it. The mechanism uses a very small arm to tilt the drive that is not designed to work under heavy load.

I would suggest that you invest in a hydraulic trim package upgrade which would allow you to use forward and reverse power (the same as a mercruiser leg) whilst having the drive elevated

Your Volvo Penta dealer will be able to advise if there is a simple upgrade package available, or whther you need an exchange leg. I know that power steering packages are available as a retro fit to the stock 280, but I am not sure if hydraulic trim is available without upgrading to a 280B leg from a stock 280 leg.

The basic differece is that there is an electric tilt motor only on the 280 and there is a hydraulic trim system on the 280B. The basic 280 leg only has the electric tilt motor used for lifting the leg clear of the sea-bed but NOT for trimming the boats nose up or down etc.

The previous owner of my boat got this wrong, having just changed from a mercruiser sterndrive to this boat, and ended up with a £ 3550.00 repair bill as a result of damaging the universal joints and smashing them into the bell housing, behind the transon shield, which meant that the watertight bellows could not be refitted.

This resulted in the engine being taken out and a new bell housing and UJ assembly being fitted!!

This lack of trim facility was a suprise to me too, when I bought the boat, having moved across from a boat with a mercruiser alpha 1 leg.

Let me know if you find an upgrade package.

Regards

Dan"

"Hi Bob,

Sorry me again. I

"Hi Bob,

Sorry me again. I have just had a look in the original volvo instruction book that I have for this 1985 280. Firstly the "B" prefix does not necessarily mean that the drive will have power trim, so my mistake sorry.

The exact volvo penta instruction manual }}wording for drives with electric tilt only is as follows:

"Running in shallow waters: If you are uncertain about the depth of the water, we recommend you to reduce the engine speed and to tilt up the outdrive slightly by operating the tilt-switchin the UP-position for some seconds. The red tilt warning lamp is now on and the retaining pawl is disengaged. CAUTION! It is now no longer possible to reverse."

"Reversing: The drive must be fully down and the warning lamp out before reversing can be carried out"

I hope this helps.

Dan"

"I may very well pass this boa

"I may very well pass this boat up if I can't come up with some options. I just can't see running in a shallow river canyon with reverse!!!
I have seen quite a few people asking the same question, is there an upgrade for this drive that will allow this, or do I need to find a boat with a MC?"

"As far as I remember, there a

"As far as I remember, there are two 280 models that were made with power trim: the 280T and the 280PT. However, you cannot just buy a kit and modify your current setup, as both your outdrive (intermediate housing) and transom shield are different from the power trim models.

Check this link and you will have an idea of the differences between your current transom shield and the transom shield for the 280PT:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/CONNECTING_COMPONENTS_AQ_DRIVE_UNIT_280_POWER_TRI M/dm/cart_id.122441393--session_id.345686460--view_id.325217"

Back