Logo

Volvo Sterndrive 290 SP-A ... Ram Advice.

moresparks

Regular Contributor
I noticed at the end of the season the sterndrive would not hold trim and sure enough on checking the trim oil I have water in the oil.
I have the drive completely off for usual maintenance so have access to the trim cylinders. On testing the trim without the drive the starboard cylinder moves o/k but the port cylinder does not move at all. If I remove a blanking screw from the cylinder then the shaft will move o/k so it’s not jammed. Although I have a seal kit, am I wasting my time in view of the one cylinder not moving at all? Many of the pipes, hoses and end fittings will not budge. I am currently soaking the end cap fitting in a penetrating oil solution but it seems to be stuck fast. The next step is to find an extension to my pin wrench or possibly try heat; can anybody suggest if this is a good idea? I am trying to replace the seals in situ. Otherwise I may have to remove the whole kit but that looks just as tricky.
I have tested the pump with a new spare and the pump looks good.
Volvo do a complete ram and hose kit (at a price) and was wondering in view of one cylinder not moving at all, replacing was the sensible way to go.
I am not happy about spending the money as I was thinking of upgrading next season so an experienced view would be appreciated.

I noticed at the end of the season the sterndrive would not hold trim and sure enough on checking the trim oil I have water in the oil.
I have the drive completely off for usual maintenance so have access to the trim cylinders.
Tip:
During disassembly, remove transmission first, then the Intermediate housing (lower unit still attached if you wish)!
When going back on, hang the Intermediate housing and then install the transmission last.
Much much easier this way!!!!!

On testing the trim without the drive the starboard cylinder moves o/k but the port cylinder does not move at all. If I remove a blanking screw from the cylinder then the shaft will move o/k so it’s not jammed. Although I have a seal kit, am I wasting my time in view of the one cylinder not moving at all?
These cylinders are N/A via Volvo Penta.
Look up Bill Lawrence on e-Bay. Bill has service kits, and may have a good used cylinder.

NOTE:
the cylinders for the 290 and/or SP-A drives are NOT same as the cylinders for the C and later drives. (people often confused these two models)

Many of the pipes, hoses and end fittings will not budge.
Use mild heat..... and carefully!

I am currently soaking the end cap fitting in a penetrating oil solution but it seems to be stuck fast.
It would require months of exposure to penetrating oil to do any good. I would go directly to heat!

The next step is to find an extension to my pin wrench or possibly try heat; can anybody suggest if this is a good idea? I am trying to replace the seals in situ. Otherwise I may have to remove the whole kit but that looks just as tricky.
I have tested the pump with a new spare and the pump looks good.
Volvo do a complete ram and hose kit (at a price) and was wondering in view of one cylinder not moving at all, replacing was the sensible way to go.
Contact Bill !

Back