Logo

Volvo Penta I/O Shift Bearing housing

mwdazzo

I have a 1999 4 winns that has a VP 5.7GSI engine and DPS stern drive. I have been having a problem where the seal on the shift linkage assembly has leaked several times. According to my mechanic he says on these model drives this is fairly common. His terminology is that the edge of the seal rolls over and causes the seal to leak. He has shown me the leak when pressure testing the drive then removing the assembly and showing me the seal. I was wondering if others have had this experiance and what they did to resolve it. Short of purchasing a new shift assembly for $430 I am not sure where to go with this or if that would sove my problem.

Thanks Matt

Matt, this will be the eccentric piston seal. It is a double lip seal that seals against the smooth radial surface of the eccentric piston.
Yes..... a common point of failure.
The seal lip does not necessarily roll over, as you are being told.
Rather the seal wears and actually shrinks some, causing it to loose integrity.
Simply put..... age!

It takes me about one hour to remove, clean up, and re-install a new seal on these.
The seal will run about $30 retail.
Labor to R & R and all, will/should be just over one hour.
Add the draining and re-installing of gear oil..... and that will get you close.

FYI, these seals are directional.
Some well seasoned techs get this wrong.... especailly if they are not routinely working with Volvo Penta.

12749.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. This seal has been replaced 2 yrs in a row. I was shown the leak with a pressure test each time before the unit was dismatled.

I have decided to replace the Eccentric piston part that the seal rides on. I am hoping that this may help prevent the seal problems. Any thoughts or experiances are appreciated. Thanks Matt

Back