Hi,
I have a Volvo Penta DPS-A outdrive. There is an unusual knocking or clunking noise when the boat is in neutral. As soon as I put the boat in gear, the noise disappears.
It sounds almost like the gears in the upper gear housing are lightly touching or rattling against each other.
I recently changed the gear oil, and there were no metal particles in the old oil. I also replaced the gimbal bearing this year.
I have done some research and found some sources suggesting that this type of noise can be fairly normal on these drives.
Does anyone here have experience with this or any suggestions on what might be causing the noise?
Video:
I have a Volvo Penta DPS-A outdrive. There is an unusual knocking or clunking noise when the boat is in neutral. As soon as I put the boat in gear, the noise disappears.
It sounds almost like the gears in the upper gear housing are lightly touching or rattling against each other.
I recently changed the gear oil, and there were no metal particles in the old oil. I also replaced the gimbal bearing this year.
I have done some research and found some sources suggesting that this type of noise can be fairly normal on these drives.
Does anyone here have experience with this or any suggestions on what might be causing the noise?
Video:

