Logo

Volvo Penta AQ260 GMC 350 57 Cuts out over 1200 RPM

J

JPFire388

Guest
"I need help. I have a Volvo P

"I need help. I have a Volvo Penta AQ260, GMC 5.7 litre engine and I just started having problems with it. The engine runs great at low speeds but when I increase the RPM over 1200 RPM, it starts to bog down and shut off. It takes a couple of seconds to restart. I removed all of the fuel from the tank, replaced all of the fuel filters, installed new spark plugs and refilled the tank with 93 octane and ethanol fuel stabilizer. Still having the same problem. I removed the distributor cap and noticed the contacts were corroded and green. I also noticed the points were very corroded. I am installing a new fuel pump tomorrow as well as the ignition parts. Is there anything else I should be doing or am missing?
HELP!!!!!"
 
I had an extra fuel pump still

I had an extra fuel pump still in the box and I was going to replace it last year but decided to try it to see if it worked. I am leaning more towards the tune-up. Hopefully it will work...
 
"Check that the automatich cho

"Check that the automatich choke (if installed) is opening. Also, check that the anti-siphon valve in the fuel tank is not jammed. And make sure the fine fuel filter in the carb is clean."
 
I am betting on the points....

I am betting on the points....
Clean File and reset them and try again... That is a cheap fix...
I finally got tired of mine doing that and chunked them and got pertronix >>> Best $100 I have spent so far!
OG
 
"EL Pescador, I checked the in

"EL Pescador, I checked the inline fine fuel filter and cleaned it. It had some dirt in it but not enough to make a difference. How should I check the choke? Is the anti-siphone valve the same as the vent line? If so, I checked to make sure that line was not clogged and it wasn't. Any other ideas would be much appreciated!!!!
Thanks for the quick reply......."
 
"It is a drop in electronic ig

"It is a drop in electronic ignition module... I had points problems that plagued my motor and after dropping that in and wiring up 2 wires... I just bump the ignition and it starts every time... It runs consistently and doesn't backfire any more... also better economy and much much better driver attitude
"
 
Is it hard to install and wher

Is it hard to install and where can I purchase it from?
 
"If you have and electric chok

"If you have and electric choke in your carb, remove the flame arrestor from the carb and make sure it opens. If it remains closed, you won't be able to accelerate because of too rich air/fuel mixture."
 
Great! I will check that tomor

Great! I will check that tomorrow..
Thanks for the great advice El Pescador...
 
I forgot to add. The anti-siph

I forgot to add. The anti-siphon valve is a barbed valve somewhere in the fuel line coming out of the fuel tank. It is usually located close to the tank.
 
Back
Top