Logo

Volvo Penta AQ130D - Engine Test Question

jbexfield

Hi All. I have just finished rebuilding my aq130d engine and would like to bench test it, ie start it. It has turned over great just will not start proper.

Does anyone have a sketch handy of a wiring diagram showing how to wire up the starter, coil, distributer, etc, in order to get engine to start outside of boat?

Would appreciate all your help as I am a new lady boat person and I've exhausted my brain trying to think this out.:confused:

If all that you're doing is bench test starting, and ONLY if the OEM engine harness is in place....... you'll need the following:

Battery Negative and Positive connections. Negative to engine block.... Positive to the starter motor solenoid "Common" connection.
Correct spark plug wire indexing beginning with #1 cylinder. Verify the firing order as per your OEM specs.
If contact points, set dwell angle to OEM specs.
Igntion power supply to the ballast resistor.
Make sure that the alternator charge lead is connected.
If you can connect a temporary mechanical oil pressure and temp gauge, I'd certainly advise doing so.
Set BASE advance, but also look at the progressive and total advance. Should be as per OEM specs.

Best to use switched power for the igntion and starter motor solenoid.

Keep in mind that you'll not want to bench-test operate the engine for any duration without loading it.
To properly seat the new piston rings, the engine must be operated under varying loads.
You get one shot at this. If missed, you'll be going to back to square one.

Good luck. Report back!

Don't forget a cooling water source which can be tricky... Directly connecting a garden hose and supplying water under pressure has its risks. I'd recommend a 5 gal bucket mounted at the same height or higher as the raw water pump, with a short length of hose running from the pump inlet into the bottom of the bucket, with a free running garden hose filling/refilling the bucket. Monitor the water level so the bucket never runs dry ( or overflows) . Its safe to fill the bucket to the top and shut the hose off until the engine actually starts and runs.

For mine, I made up a remote starter box with power to the coil and starter. I used a handheld laser thermometer to keep an eye on the temp and also added a temporary oil pressure gage. For the initial start, had to put a few teaspoons of gas in each carb. Also put the gas can up on a ladder so the fuel was running down hill. used the tach/dwell meter to finish the tuneup and fine tune the carbs. For water, I attached a garden hose with a shutoff at the engine end. That way, I could turn the water on once the engine started.

Was actually easier than I thought it was going to be.

Here's the wiring diagram from the manual, but you really don't need all of that for the initial run.

View attachment engine wiring diagram.pdf

Last edited:
Back