Logo

Volvo/Penta 1973 270 outdrive engine compatability

darkwarlord

I have a 1973 John Allmand Citation II 23 foot cuddy cabbin with twin Volvo/Penta AQ130C/270 out drives. The out drives are good but due to the stupidity of previous owner engines were left open to weather and are now frozen. I would lime to know what other 4cyl. engines can be mounted on these stern drives and what the horse power limits are on the 2.15/1 outdrive systems. 2 engines are all I really need to put this boat in the water but AQ-130 engines seem to be scarce. I have been told a chevy 3.0 might work with modifications to the exhaust system but does anyone know what othe engines might work? I also saw the thread about the 4cyl. OHC volvo engines but again I worry about max HP.

Re: Volvo/Penta 270 outdrive engine compatability

I'd suggest staying with any of the single OHC Volvo Penta engines..... the more power, the better.
The engines all mate to your same Flywheel Covers, and the over-all drive ratio of 2.15:1 works for all of them.

Re: Volvo/Penta 270 outdrive engine compatability

Thanks Rick. I'll keep that in mind as I search. This is kind of a long term project as I am also restoring a 1978 Manatee 18' 2" cuddy cabin which will work better for shrimping on the St. Johns river. I have a list of all of the Volvo 4cyl. OHC's and will keep an eye out.

Back