Logo

Vibration in the the control box

roederll

Regular Contributor
"I was wondering if vibration

"I was wondering if vibration coming from the control box is a good or bad thing. I heard it this past monday and it almost seems to be an alarm maybe, but its a vibration instead of noise. The boat still works fine, just never heard it before. Wondering if it it anything important."

"that is your hot horn,trying

"that is your hot horn,trying to activate...depending on what yr u have,it may be telling u more info....first,repl the horn....then see if it activates.........
when was the last time,a water pump kit was installed??"

I have no idea when a water pu

I have no idea when a water pump was installed. Me and my borther in law bought it a few years ago and we just got it running good for the summer. We didn't put a new one on because the pee stream out of the motor is good.

Is this "horn" you are

Is this "horn" you are talking about is it a indicator switch. The boat that we have is at the oldest a 70's maybe 80's. I don't know exactly though. I will look on the title to see.

"then,that horn,is telling u ,

"then,that horn,is telling u ,u r overheating,or something in box,is grouding it,making it try to activate...u need prob,..a new horn at the least,as it should be very audible.ck inside control box,...inst new horn,carefully,...test at eng cyl head,ground tan wire that goes to sender,just disc it,..horn should wk...(w/key ON)
then,..u will prob need,new therm/pressure rel valves,depending on eng,..and a water pump kit."

"Ok. I will look at it tonite

"Ok. I will look at it tonite and see about all that info, and post something later. Thanks jwbmarine 4 all of your help."

"Actually i just thought about

"Actually i just thought about it. This morning i took it out and it didn't make that noise at all, at least i didn't hear. Could it be that it is sticking or intermittent."

"exactly.............but,u sho

"exactly.............but,u should have no noise at all,.....u need to see what caused this,...and replace that horn,..-------->
then,that horn,is telling u ,u r overheating,or something in box,is grouding it,making it try to activate...u need prob,..a new horn at the least,as it should be very audible.ck inside control box,...inst new horn,carefully,...test at eng cyl head,ground tan wire that goes to sender,just disc it,..horn should wk...(w/key ON)
then,..u will prob need,new therm/pressure rel valves,depending on eng,..and a water pump kit."

"The model number is J7OELCNB.

"The model number is J7OELCNB. Can you look up the year of it too, if you can the serial number is J5680183. Thanks again."

"u have,a 1982 johnson 70.exce

"u have,a 1982 johnson 70.excellent eng..a bad temp sender,something in box is grounding the horn,loose wires,loose horn touching box etc,or u r just overheating.."

If this horn was working corre

If this horn was working correctly it would be an alarm of some sorts not a vibration or anything like that.

Well i will see about pricing

Well i will see about pricing one sometime this week and hopefully all goes well when or if i can put it on.

Back