Logo

valve cover gasket - '88 454.... enough room w/o removing anything?

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I was thinking of doing them on my Stb engine today. I couldn't find a clear answer before I take one off, is there enough clearance on this vintage 454 w/o removing anything else? It looks like it will just clear but figured I would ask beforehand.

If not, can I get the cover up enough to clear the studs and work the gasket in behind the cover? Sure wish I did all four when I replaced the manifolds and risers a couple of years ago.


thanks
Bob
 
I've got aftermarket AL intake and covers on mine, but the only thing I need to remove is the RW hose from the U cooler to the HE. It may take a trick to remove the screws that are outboard, against the exhaust manifold. I went to hex socket head screws to help this issue and use a ball end allen wrench.
 
ok, I was able to get them off w/o too much trouble. Just two of them are a little tricky on the bottom but nothing a 1/4" flex can't handle. What kind of gaskets are you guys using?

A guy who rebuild Crusaders in my marina gave me a set and they were rubber. The ones I took off were rubber with a metal sandwich in between that made them a lot stiffer. You can't really get a torque wrench on most of the fasteners so I had to do them by feel. It's probably easy to over torque the rubber gaskets that I installed.

I'm going to do the Port engine next and ordered a set from NAPA, they're rubber as well. Were the ones I took off the wrong ones or just a different type?


Bob
 
Last edited:
THere are a lot of options for 454 valve cover gaskets. Cork, cork with steel, double thickness cork, rubber, etc. You get the idea. I have a slight preference for the composition with the steel layer. It makes it harder for the gasket to "fall" and miss the upper center bolt. You might want to use something like that indian head sealer on one surface. You should be able to tighten by feel, and recheck after a couple hot/cold cycles.
 
I'll have a real life science experiment for next year. On the Stb side, I used the floppy/rubber gaskets that someone gave me. I ordered the other side from NAPA and got metal reinforced gaskets made by Fel Pro.

The ones I took off looked great, I have no idea how old they were... at least 10 years would be my guess.
It looks like the bottom corners leak because the top of the tappet holds oil and it pours right into the corner of the valve cover. I probably could have gotten away with just tightening but I didn't mind seeing under the valve covers.

For 24 years/1,000 hours, the insides look brand new. I would swear the engines had 20 hours on them if I just saw a pic.

Bob
 
I know its a bit late but I thought I'd add it for those that read this thread in the future.

FWIW, I've had very good results with nothing more than a uniform bead of RTV run around the inside of the valve cover. The flanges need to be straight and free of oil. Set the covers on, add screws and finger tighten. Let RTV cure and then torque screws per service manual.
 
Back
Top