Logo

Using the Flushing Adaptor Kit

the_tassie_devil

Regular Contributor
G'day all,

When using the available Flushing Adaptor kit that replaces one of the hinge covers on the Stern Drive, is one not supposed to run the engine when flushing out the Salt Water from the cooling system?

The reason I ask is that by running the engine, with the fresh water inlet bypassing the Water Pump in the lower part of the Leg, there is no water running through the impeller and therefore the impeller would be running dry, and eventually destroying itself.

Also, running the hose, without the engine running, there could be a ever-so slight possibility that any blockage in the exhaust system could result in fresh water backing bach up the exhaust and overflowing into the engine cylinders through open exhaust valves.

Thoughts?

At the moment, I am flushing the system by dropping the leg into a 100 gallon water tank, and this is wasting water as it needs to be drained often as it becomes saline with what gets flushed out every time it is used.

Thanks,

Bruce.

I never had that kit and i don't understand it ether. Everything i know about this drive tells me the same thing you posted, never run the motor without water going to the DRIVE.

Here is a picture of my flushing tank, but a bit difficult to take with me when I go away for a week, and want to flush it out whilst away.

Bruce.

Attachments

• IMG_0013-1024.jpg
    IMG_0013-1024.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 57
Here is a picture of my flushing tank, but a bit difficult to take with me when I go away for a week, and want to flush it out whilst away.

Bruce.

G-day Bruce.

I tried the same thing, even built the tank out of wood.. I never dunk mine, and have no problem. Runner off the hose. Even in gear. NO revving.

PS.... have wood pedestals ( wood frames, and lids ) built, new glass ( acrylic ) next.

S.

G'day S,

Any pictures? I am having trouble imagining what you built.

I built mine out of an old Heating Oil tank.

You should NEVER run these electric shift legs out of the water in gear.

The Leg relies on the surrounding water to keep the gear area cool. When the coils are energised to enable the drive to be in gear, there is a lot of heat, and without water surrounding the "gearbox", they will burn out.

Bruce.

G'day S,

Any pictures? I am having trouble imagining what you built.

I built mine out of an old Heating Oil tank.

You should NEVER run these electric shift legs out of the water in gear.

The Leg relies on the surrounding water to keep the gear area cool. When the coils are energised to enable the drive to be in gear, there is a lot of heat, and without water surrounding the "gearbox", they will burn out.

Bruce.

Well, Ive done it a number of times, and have had no damage.After, maybe five or six times, I still get a stream out the back when IN water.
About the Box.....
You don't wanna see what I built. It was too ugly to publish, but it held water IN gear at a bit of rpm.

Back