Logo

Unable to reassemble AQ280 lift mechanism

joe_merchant

Regular Contributor
Took lift mechanism apart to investigate it occasionally not working. Putting it back together and the top won't thread completely onto the base. Leaves about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch gap. If I take out the spring, it threads in completely as it should. Take out the top bearing and leave the spring in place, and it doesn't thread in completely. Flip the spring over and same thing. This can't be rocket science. What am I doing wrong here?

You may have the large brass ring gear upside down. Pretty sure there is a groove in it to mate with the part above it

Agree.
Either the brass worm ring gear is installed wrong, or you've doubled-up on a thrust bearing race.

The aluminum cover sets the tension on the clutch release spring.

Will take it apart later today when I have time. It's odd that removing the upper bearing doesn't gain me any room. The worm gear is in the concave area of the main gear, so I'm assuming the spacing and orientation is correct. Really tightened down on the upper housing with a large pipe wrench but still have about a quarter inch to go. Didn't put the housing in a vice, but it's pretty danged tight. I tried power to the motor and it does move the vice rod both directions. Tried to push down on it with all of my weight but can't get the clutch to slip.

Took it apart again. Large gear has the groove side up the way it's supposed to be. No extra bearing races. I guess the next questions are, how tight is the aluminum cover supposed to be, and should you be able to get the clutch to slip by putting all of your weight on vice rod?

Took it apart again. Large gear has the groove side up the way it's supposed to be. No extra bearing races. I guess the next questions are, how tight is the aluminum cover supposed to be, and should you be able to get the clutch to slip by putting all of your weight on vice rod?
Often the aluminum cover will not come fully down onto the cast iron housing.

You won't be able to test the clutch tension until the unit has been re-installed, and until you can use the drive/suspension fork for leverage against the vice rod pressure plate.

On average, a 150 lb person will be able to step on the rear of the drive without the clutch releasing.
That same person will be able to bounce and make the clutch release.

Rick & Dennis, thanks for the help. Guess I was being too gentle with it. Top turned a lot easier when bolted down on the transom shield. Works fine now.

Back