Logo

Twin volvo 250s with 280 outdrive pros and cons

el_pescador

Silver Medal Contributor
"A few tips:

1) Have th

"A few tips:

1) Have the boat surveyed by a professional surveyor.

2) Have a professional mechanic test engines (general condition, compression, etc) and drives if the surveyor does not provide that service.

3) The engines are Volvo marinized car engines. They will respond well if you take care of them, but they can be finicky. They have dual carbs that need to be properly synchronized. The aluminum heads can have corrosion problems around #3 and # 4 exhaust ports, but that's not a big deal (it can be repaired or the heads can be replaced). The timing gears are prone to pitting and eventually can lead to the timing belt failing. The good news is the engine valves are non interference, so if the belt breaks the valves won't be damaged.

For a boat of that size, I would have preferred a single engine setup (350, 454 or even a diesel). However, there is no reason why you cannot get out of it a nice family boat if the hull, wiring and power plant are in good condition.

Again, the most important thing is to get the boat surveyed and tested."

"yes, a commercial boat of thi

"yes, a commercial boat of this class may have been used for many many hours and you dont know the hull status either. As a commercial vessle, it may have been serviced perfectly too. But you can't know that. Make extra sure you survey her and pay minimum dollars."

Any idea what the fuel burn wo

Any idea what the fuel burn would be on these engines? I know there are a lot of factors to consider but just a general idea from those of you that have run them. Gal/hr at cruise? Would cruise be about 4000 rpm?
Thanks

"Guesstimate: around 7 U.S. ga

"Guesstimate: around 7 U.S. gallons per hour at 4200 RPM (per engine). This was the burn in my previous boat, but keep in mind mine was a planing boat. The fuel burn is yours could be different."

Back