Logo

Twin '95 175 Johnson Steering

ajv00303

Regular Contributor
Not too familiar w/ the steering mechanism on outboards.
Bought a boat this past season w/ twin '95 175 Johnsons.......has a hydraulic helm.
Steering seems very tight as compared to my last boat w/ a 35p Mag Mercruiser which I could steer w/ 1 finger like a car.
I plan on disconnecting the steering from the engines and seeing if the engines are free. Haven't noticed and grease fittings other than the trim tube fittings.
Also need to check fluid level at the helm!

Checked and topped off the fluid at the helm. It was a little low and now seems easier to turn. Are there any zerk fittings on the steering tube?

Tilt the motors up and you’ll find a grease zerk on the engine steering tube bracket. Also there is a procedure to bleed the hydraulic steering. that will help make it feel a lot smoother if you have air bubbles trapped in the system.

Thanks for that info....looks like you need a special fitting to allow for a constant supply of fluid while bleeding. Maybe I can rig something up. But thanks again....it's definitely better.

Thanks for that info....looks like you need a special fitting to allow for a constant supply of fluid while bleeding. Maybe I can rig something up. But thanks again....it's definitely better.
You can get a thread to hose barb adapter at your local hardware store. I forget the thread diameter and pitch for the plug on the helm, but you can take that to the store to find a match. I made my fill reservoir using that adapter and a short piece of hose.

It's quite possible you're fine is the steering feels smooth from lock to lock. If there are any hitches then you need to do the purge procedure.

Back