Logo

Trying to get my prop off what is this?

briang0

Regular Contributor
I would like to pull my prop off but after I take the nut and locking washer this piece is under it. I'm trying to identify what this piece is that is under the prop nut and that fancy washer. Does this unscrew. If so do I need a special wrench? Thanks, Brian

Attachments

• What is this.jpg
    What is this.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 51
even with that in place the prop still should pull off. The early ones are just a locking point for the tab washer. new ones are part of the Flo-Torq design. they lock the prop to the shaft with a replaceable insert designed to break away in a impact.

Last edited:
I would like to pull my prop off but after I take the nut and locking washer this piece is under it. I'm trying to identify what this piece is that is under the prop nut and that fancy washer. Does this unscrew. If so do I need a special wrench? Thanks, Brian

Ayuh,.... If the prop don't slide off, after the nut is removed,...

I'm guessin' the shaft wasn't Greased...
If so,... Grab yer BFHammer, 'n begin the destruction...

Borrow or rent a three blade I/O propeller puller tool.
If your prop hub and shaft splines are not severely corroded, the tool should pull both the keeper ring and propeller off at the same time.

This style reaches into the exhaust area and grabs the outer prop hub.

If you use this style, protect the leading edge of the blades.

Unless of course.............................
propshaft-1.jpg
Ditto that one! That would be a bummer.

When these Volvo Penta Duo Prop owners don't pull their B series props for spline cleaning and greasing annually, they end up becoming stuck.
I've had to cut some beautiful props off before. What a shame.

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... All for a $.03 finger fulla Grease,.... :rolleyes:

Somebody really Wacked that 1, BD,...

Yep, these were 2 guys racing with the 250hp Black Max motors. this had a high 5 SS prop the other was a Laser SS
#1 tore the complete lower unit off the outboard.#2 reduced his prop to the size of a melon. vert driveshaft was sheared and crankshaft end sheared off.
2 rods came out of the block.

I was able to get the prop off today. I used a 2 jaw gear puller that I modified a bit and it worked fine. Now I have it off I'm thinking about replacing it the numbers on the prop are [FONT=&quot]TA2016 19. Any one venture a guess on what size and pitch it is. The boat is a 18' CC Scorpion [/FONT]the engine is a MercCruiser 305 the out drive is an Alpha 1 I don't know what the gearing is. I'm thinking I'll keep this one as a spare and put a new one on it.

I was able to get the prop off today. I used a 2 jaw gear puller that I modified a bit and it worked fine. Now I have it off I'm thinking about replacing it the numbers on the prop are TA2016 19. Any one venture a guess on what size and pitch it is. The boat is a 18' CC Scorpion the engine is a MercCruiser 305 the out drive is an Alpha 1 I don't know what the gearing is. I'm thinking I'll keep this one as a spare and put a new one on it.

Merc Quicksilver 14" diameter, 19" pitch prop http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Quicksilver-Black_Diamond-Propellers/TA2016/

The aluminum prop is just fine in the speed / HP range you have on that boat. As long as the engine runs in the published upper RPM range when at full throttle, she's the right one. Grease on the splines / proper maintenance will eliminate problems pulling off, in the future.

Last edited:
Agreed.
In order to select a new propeller, your engine needs to meet the OEM WOT RPM spec.
By doing the WOT test/check, you will know whether or not your engine is being over-burdened..... and this means at any RPM range.

To do the WOT RPM test, the engine must be in near perfect tune, or all goes out the window.

My current prop is 14 inch and a 19 pitch. TA 2016 19. I wanted to buy a new one. It appears if I want a quick silver prop the only ones available are QA 1916 which are 14.5 in and 19 pitch. Would a have inch in diameter make any difference? I've talked to a couple of marinas and they are saying not to worry.

My current prop is 14 inch and a 19 pitch. TA 2016 19. I wanted to buy a new one. It appears if I want a quick silver prop the only ones available are QA 1916 which are 14.5 in and 19 pitch. Would a have inch in diameter make any difference? I've talked to a couple of marinas and they are saying not to worry.

As long as you have the clearance, 1/2" is nothing even be concerned about. If there is a clearance issue with the trim tab, get the tab that is designed for extra clearance.

Back