Logo

Troubleshoot Fuel Pump

Depends on the issue you are having.. No start vs other problems have different troubleshooting procedures. Also... some engines have 2...... a lo pressure and a high pressure. More info please...
1)What & when did problem start that caused you to replace the pump in the first place?
2)Is the problem you have now the same as the initial problem?
3)Which engine?

Hello Capt Bob!

Thank you for the reply! We replaced the upper ad lower fuel pump and the regulator...We have Bravo Volvo Penta 5.0 2002
We replace them because our mechanic said they were no good...We were having a starting issue and she would no stay running...
Now, she starts, but is rough running and stinks...Tried to take a ride yesterday, but did not have much luck! We were going through no wake zone and all was fine...after we tri to power forward with a little throttle, she bogged, coughed and chocked....just barely made I back to our slip at the marina!!

Got any ideas???

HO
Hello Capt Bob!

Thank you for the reply! We replaced the upper ad lower fuel pump and the regulator...We have Bravo Volvo Penta 5.0 2002
We replace them because our mechanic said they were no good...

Got any ideas???

When you say "we" do you mean that you personally replaced these parts?... or did the "mechanic" do this and charge you for it?. If the latter.... well, I always have considered such "shotgun" approach (replace everything in sight) the hallmark ,at best, of a lazy or incompetent mechanic or more likely, IMHO, of a mechanic who is taking advantage of a customer's lack of knowledge and/or naivete. I'm going to jumo in here with a paraphrase of RICARDO's oft given advice... "If you paid the mechanic for a fix, you are entitled to a fix..." Make him finish the job you paid him to do...free. Personally I advise my friends that when this happens... "RUN AWAY...RUN AWAY!!! take the loss and find a GOOD mechanic."

Last edited:
Back