Logo

trouble shooting ox66 150 hp

captain mattman

hello everyone. first off new member and thank you for allowing me to join. I'm a captain down here in sw florida. I'm having problems with my Yamaha ox66 outboard. 9 times out of 10 she fires right off and runs great. one out of ten, however, shes slow to start and will spit and sputter, almost like shes not getting fuel. last week she refused to start and I had to be towed home. that was the first time shes left me stranded. we were about seven miles offshore in the gulf and were really lucky that a good Samaritan was willing to give us a hand. the motor is an '03 model ox66 saltwater series and is fuel injected. the plugs are new, the water separator is new, the motor has less than 800 hours on it and has always been maintained very well. I'm hoping its something silly that I can do myself. so anybody have any ideas? thanks for reading and thanks for any help or input.

Sounds like a classic fuel issue, make sure fuel is fresh and clean. Replace all filters including the one at the bottom the reservoir mounted on the port side of the engine (VST Filter). Also for the cost it's worth it to replace the low pressure fuel pumps also mounted on the port side of the engine. Also check all fuel lines and connections for air leaks and tight connections. Lastly it is always a good idea to check to make sure you have spark on each plug and also check compression before doing any repair. If you don't have spark or compression there is no sense in tearing apart the fuel system. On the other hand if you have solid spark and good compression the issue is likely fuel followed by ignition. (you can have spark and poor ignition if the engine is not sparking at the correct time) Please post results if you find out what the deal is...

Back