Logo

Trouble mounting M340 bell housing to Volvo penta 270(B) flywheel cover?

dwade2777

Trouble mounting M340 bell housing to Volvo penta 270(B) flywheel cover?

Any ideas or suggestions? I will add some picture. For some reason engine mounts are in place on stringers but engine bell housing wont mat with outdrive flywheel cover. I think I have to remount flywheel cover to out drive. I bought the boat in pieces so not sure if all is stock.

pictures soon!

D

Earlier Chrysler boats and boats with Chrysler engines w/ AQ series Volvo Penta stern drives, used the Borg Warner pattern flywheel cover with the Borg Warner-- slash-- Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing in order to get to the AQ series drives.

images

$T2eC16VHJHQFFhc)ppPBBSD6OK450w~~60_35.JPG

The PDS components will be the same or very similar to this.

513978=19088-PDS%20coupler%20and%20drive%20shaft%202.jpg

Last edited:
sorry about sloppy pics. Does this look like the correct flywheel shield to mat with the engine bell housing?

I do have triangular borg-waner fly wheel adapter.

You can see my stringer next to the starter and placement. Does it the flywheel cover to the experinced eye look turned to far clock wise?

If I have to take the 6 bolts out of the flywheel cover and rotate it back a bit, any secrets on how to loosen bolts?

I had forgotten that there was a Volvo Penta 1 PC flywheel cover for the Chrysler V8's.

The triangular Borg Warner flywheel adapter...... you're speaking of the B/W drive coupler .... correct?

As for alignment.....

Loosen the flywheel cover clamping ring bolts.
Install engine
Align exhaust system to Y-pipe
Go through the one-time initial triangulation alignment procedure
Tighten all six clamping ring bolts
Secure side engine mounts and lock adjustment

NOTE: inside rubber cushion ring should be new!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.
tonight I will try to get the clamping ring bolts off. Where can I order inside rubber cushion ring? Any idea of part number. While im in there should I replace anything else?

The triangular Borg Warner flywheel adapter...... you're speaking of the B/W drive coupler .... correct? YES

I had forgotten that there was a Volvo Penta 1 PC flywheel cover for the Chrysler V8's.

The triangular Borg Warner flywheel adapter...... you're speaking of the B/W drive coupler .... correct?

As for alignment.....

Loosen the flywheel cover clamping ring bolts.
Install engine
Align exhaust system to Y-pipe
Go through the one-time initial triangulation alignment procedure
Tighten all six clamping ring bolts
Secure side engine mounts and lock adjustment

NOTE: inside rubber cushion ring should be new!

Yes it is rotated to far clockwise. The holes I marked with the arrows should be horizontal to each other

like this

Back