Logo

Trim Issue* 2015 Mercury 115 EFI 4 Stroke

CC.Coleman

Hello, I’ve been wrestling with a trim issue and no repair shop can look at it until July. I’m pretty lost as to what the issue is. Here is what I have going on….

2016 Tracker Pro 190
2015 Mercury 115 EFI 4 Stroke.
Model 1115F131D
Serial 2B156544

The trim up recently stopped at the bow, console and trailer switches. Seemed like a relay issue so I replace both the up and down relays. No change. I figured maybe the wires within the UP relay housing was bad so I replaced it. No change.

I can jump the 30 terminal to 87 and it will go up. I can swap the up and down leads and it will go up. The relay does not click. I have resistance tested the relays and everyone I have is good. (I have 5 on hand). I do have voltage at terminal 30, 86, 85 just not 87 on the upside.

Doing more research, I ended up replacing the trim position sending sensor (8M0083396) and the trim converter tilt limit kit (8M0087768) that transfers the current from. No change. Fuse on the engine is good.

I assume the 3 switches are wired in parallel so if one is bad the other still work. The trailer trim switch tests good as well as the bow trim switch. I have not tested the throttle switch since I’m not sure how to take the handle apart yet.

I noticed with the up relay wiring there is one wire (can’t remember if it is 85 or 86) that runs to the PCM. Is it possible the PCM is not allowing the trim up function? The engine runs fine at any RPM level.

Any knowledge shared is appreciated. Would love to be fishing right now 😂. Any help in bypassing this goofy system would be great too.

I had the same problem 3 weeks ago. Replaced the trim limiter .... and the motor started going up and down...but, on the way up I had intermittency, it would jump rather than a smooth movement. I figured the position sensor was bad. replaced that sensor (but the dealer gave me a different part number, supposed to be the same: 8M0094923, instead of the 8M0083396). problem presists. still working on the issue.

one more thing. there is an orange lead (Disconnected) from the trim limiter......if you ground it (my engine has an orange pigtail thats grounded) it would work up and down...it overrides the trim positioning. it's used for setting up the upper limit.

Back