Logo

Transom Mount O-rings

duo_prop_dad

Contributing Member
Replacing transom mount (290) and previously asked Q's about o-rings in drive......

What about o-rings that seal to transom, is there any special procedure or sealant to be used in conjunction with?

Can old o-rings be used?

I noticed Volvo has a complete outdrive o-ring/ seal kit, does it include these rings?

(I hope I don't find any soft spots in transom/ fingers crossed!)

Thanks, John

Always use a new seal when installing the transom mount.
Just glue it in place with a rubber glue to keep it positioned during assembly.
I used to torque the assy until the seal was in contact with transom and a gap about 3mm between transom assy and transom then added a string of Sikaflex all around in the gap before torquing to spec.
The seal is not included in the outdrive sealing kit.

Forgive me here, but your question leaves me to wonder which seal you are speaking of!

If asking about the large rubber bead style gasket (seq# 23), these are generally re-usable IF.... I say IF it sits "proud" of the groove in the transom shield enough to re-compress and seal.
I'd recommend an adhesive under it/in the groove, and at the joint where the ends meet at the top, before installing. Some will also seal this gasket to the transom!
On this shield (290 style), your mounting studs are inside the perimeter of the beaded seal.... so there should be no "O-rings" on the studs here.
(275/280 not same.... and do require the six fat O-rings)

If you are asking about the large rubber ring/cushion/seal (seq# 68), I recommend that the inside flywheel cover side rubber ring be NEW............ that is the one that does the water sealing and must compress! (you'll see that the old ones have taken a "set" and are no longer resilient)

All other O-rings should be new..... Y pipe-to-shield connection, for example!

If you have not already considered this, the PDS (seq# 79) bearings/seals should always be replaced when you are in this deep, IMO. Shot in the foot if not! ($40 tops, from a good bearing supplier!)

8022.jpg

Back