Logo

Torque Specs for Bolts

the_tassie_devil

Regular Contributor
"G'day all,

Would reall

"G'day all,

Would really appreciate it if some learned person could advise me of the Torque Specifications of the 4 x 1/2" Diameter Bolts that attach the Water Pump and Gear Housing to the Upper Gear Case in the 1972 OMC Tall Stern Drive unit.

I have searched the Manual I have and can't find the numbers anywhere. Everything else, but those for the big long bolts.

Thanks,

Bruce."

G-day mate. You know i searche

G-day mate. You know i searched and searched to give you the torque value for those bolts and can't find it anywhere.

What i do is get them seated and turn them another 1/4 turn.

"Thanks Mate,

But, they are

"Thanks Mate,

But, they are Stainless Steel Bolts going into the Aluminium Case.

Hate to strip the threads at this point in time.

Bruce."

"G'day Chiefalen,

If yo

"G'day Chiefalen,

If you can't find them, then nobody can.

I can't see why they would be conspicuously missing, when all the other Torque Specs are there.

Bruce."

"If you follow the tables, &#3

"If you follow the tables, 'lube' the threads with OMC sealing Compound or similar, you get:
313/328 Inch Pounds
23,3 Ft Pounds
3,8 Kpm/Kgm

If threads not damaged and thread depth more than 2 x diameter, no problems."

"'I can't see why they

"'I can't see why they would be conspicuously missing, when all the other Torque Specs are there. '

They only specify torque specs when outside 'standards'.
You will in most books find a general torque table for different dimensions to be used when torque is not specified."

"23.3 Foot Pounds seems too so

"23.3 Foot Pounds seems too soft, seeing as there is so much pressure created by the Bevel Gears, but if you say so, then that must also be true.

Will have to see what happens when I tighten them using the Torque Wrench, and see how close it is to Cheifalen's recommendation of "Seating, then 1/4 Turn".

But, that will be for tomorrow morning, as I am off to bed now.

Bruce."

"I am used to Automotive Manua

"I am used to Automotive Manuals where they have Torque Specifications for every nut and bolt within the Engine, Transmission, Differential, Suspension, and everything else that needs tightening.

Bruce."

"The 'risk' when torqu

"The 'risk' when torquing in alu with that kind of bolt dia, is not that you rip off the bolts or threads, but deform the alu parts. You may probably be able to torque 6-10 Kpm, but your housing will not be happy!"

"I wouldn't be happy eithe

"I wouldn't be happy either if the Housing went a "Stripping" .

But, I tightened to 24 Ft.Lbs, and the bolts only turned an extra 1/8 of a turn after seating.

Now I can start completing the assembly. But joining to the engine will have to wait till the new Exhaust Valves arrive.

Thanks again,

Bruce."

"ok 1/8 of a turn sounds good

"ok 1/8 of a turn sounds good too.

You did smear the blue or red permetex on the outside of the water pump housing before installing the housing, and gear and shafts all in one whole unit.

You did smear a little permetex on the bolt heads.

Use a drop of motor oil on all the rubber seals.

Any rubber 0-ring i usually drop into a cap of motor oil, shake well and install.

Good luck !

You did use good grease on the shaft splines.

Good luck !"

""Castrol Pyroplex Blue is

""Castrol Pyroplex Blue is also sold under the BP brand(energrease LCX 6002)"

Above is copied from another post off another site posted in 2006.

spline grease, you need it for the shafts see they sit in water.

Same post this guy says to use " dupont krytox its 4.99 a tube at the pool shop "

Once again good luck !"

"Well, it is back together, th

"Well, it is back together, the upper part that is, and thanks for all the assistance.

I user Molykote BR 2 Plus for the Spline and Bearing Grease, Wynn's High Performance Lubricant Supplement for the Seal Surfaces including O Rings, Loctite for the Pinion Nut and Seal backings, Permatex No. 3, Non-hardening Sealant for the Main Bolt threads and head sealing, and Water Pump outer sealing surfaces and faces, and Rubber Grease for the Water Pump Vanes and outer surface where the vanes spin. Plus I hand-surfaced the internal Waterpump surface to remove any imperfections.

As this will be a Salt-water boat from now on, with a fully closed Engine Cooling system , it will need, and get, all the fresh water flushing that I can give it.

When I fill the Upper Gear and the Intermediate Housings, I will be using Pennzoil LSD Oil, and the proper C oil for the bottom gearset.

All I am waiting on is those Engine Exhaust Valves so I can complete the engine assembly, then the Installation.

Bruce.

PS. I am going to modify the Intermediate Housing to accept the later model Ball Gear with the nut attachment and machine up an adaptor to bring out the Coupler from the engine so it will engage the spline of the shorter shaft."

Back