Logo

Tool for Pulling Single Bearing PDS

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,

Ricardo and El you can sit this one out if you want ; You've already given me too much great info and you guys probabally need a well deserved break. I'm wondering if there might be a tool that would make pulling the PDS shaft aft and out easier. I have full access to a well equipped machine shop and can probably make something up if need be. An industrial style drill chuck threaded 5/16 18 on the back side to take a slide hammer adaptor comes to mind as will as taking some pipe stock to fit tightly over the PDS, cutting it in half length wise the length of the PDS (creating A 1/16 in. slit) and adding ears with bolts in them to clamp onto the shaft, then welding a plate across the back of the pipe and threading it for a slide puller adaptor. I'm also thinking about drilling and tapping the end of the PDS shaft so I can thread a 5/16 bolt into it and then slide hammering it out (I really think the shaft is too hard to accomplish this). Also thinking about taking some flat jawed vise grips ( which currently slip off the shaft when hooked to the slide hammer) and cutting the teeth on the jaws in the opposite direction so they can get a better grip on the shaft. All advice is appreciated. If I can come up with something I'll make the tool and supply the blueprints or the tool to forum members.

Thanks Again,
Jon Allen

Last edited:
Jon, no problem with helping you further! We have your credit card number, and both of us have treated ourselves to some new boat goodies. Your bank has been more than generous...... no questions were asked. :D

Kidding aside; I'd suggest that before you go to the trouble of making a tool... and/or drilling and tapping threads, that you try a giant vice-grip pliers on the aft end of the PDS.
You won't cause any damage that could not be lightly filed away.

Had the PDS been threaded at the factory, these would have been "rolled" threads... not cut threads.
I doubt seriously if cut threads (after the fact, and in a hardened shaft), would hold up to slide hammer forces.

Give the vice-grips a try..... you may find that it pulls right out.
Many of them do!

Last edited:
What works better for grip, curved or flat jaws?

What model/size "Giant size" works best?

I did spend some drilling(rather attempted) the shaft and I got nowhere fast...

Hi,

The answer is it depends. Whatever style gives you the most contact/grip is the way to go. I have tried numerous styles of V/Gs to no avail. With the PDS shaft you're trying to grip it head-on and this is where V/Gs come up short. I think I have a solution to PDS removal (single bearing only pulled out aft.) I'm going to take a pipe which fits snugly over the PDS and weld two threaded ears to it with pinch bolts. I will then cut a 1/16 in groove 3 inches down the middle of the pipe. Once this is placed over the PDS and tightened down it should offer a Kung Fu grip. I will weld a circular cover over the back of the pipe and drill and thread it for a 5/16 in. slide hammer adaptor. My friend makes up these adaptors for main and countershafts out of truck transmissions and can support them in midair on their way to the parts cleaner. I'll keep everyone posted on my results

Jon Allen

Sounds great, keep me posted.

I thought the curved jaws might work best, since - on a stubborn PDS - you'd like for the jaws to get a bite (read dig in) to the hardened shaft.

The smaller area bite of the curved might give enough psi to dig into the metal. As Ricardo said, cleanup with a file.

For a quick and dirty approach to a course spline PDS - if I got desperate enough - I've considered just tack welding the Vice-grips to the male portion of a spline.

With a 4" grinder and a thin metal cutting blade, it would seem that cleaning it up wouldn't be too difficult.

If I ground off a tad more than necessary, where's the harm as long as the yoke slides over.

I've got a spare drive shaft cover and course shaft off a 270 drive.

Back