Logo

Tohatsu M30A3 30hp - Ignition may need to be replaced but parts dont seem to match serial number

photocopy

Hi

Just got Tohatsu M30A3 30hp. Older engine with very low hours, quite good condition though. CDI unit is disconnected but was apparently working correctly.

My question is this: I want to reorder the part, but when I look in the part diagrams for ordering online my engine matches the Nissan part rather then the Tohatsu Part? Is there any guides or shop manual available for testing the existing CDI? Were some built with different specifications?

I am in Canada.

Unit Serial Number Plate reads:

M30A3
346B 29244
Tohatsu Corporation
Made in Japan

Cheers and thanks for your help!

Both Nissan and Tohatsu are identical. That motor is very obsolete. Yes, the motor is covered in the Factory service manual, available from any dealer.
Why not reconnect the unit and see if you have spark?

Have to wait for said CD unit to come in the mail its 1600 miles away!! The engine was purchased brand new in 1998 from a dealer, was run a few hours each year and stored indoors. Looking forward to see how she runs. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Motor started up right aways in a bucket once I got plug wires right. Going to try it in the ocean tonight, see how it runs under load. Has very low hours, any recommendations for breaking it in?

Believe it has less than 100 hours on it perhaps even less.

Also just wondering what you mean by obsolete?

Hasn't been available in North America since about 1996. Even its A4 superceded model was replaced by the 4-strokers more than a decade ago.

Thanks Paul. I have learned so much about 2 stroke Tohatsu outboards by reading your posts for the last few weeks. Keep it up!

Back