Logo

To keep or not? 800 series

floater1

Regular Contributor
Now that I have my 800 series finally working properly its got me thinking about whether I should keep it or sell. Most of my issues were with the engine rather than the drive but my unit is going on 34 years old now ('78 225 hp). From the sounds of it if I ever do have an issue with the drive itself parts will be hard to come by and if I ever would need an entire replacement drive I would really be out of luck? I have more wrench time into my boat than actually using it on the water but this summer I'm hoping for more time actually enjoying my boat or maybe another boat that if it does go south on me its not such a time consuming effort to troubleshoot and fix. Just looking for a little guidance from the wisemen here to keep or sell now that its running fine? Don't beat me up to badly please.

Re: To keep or not?

The OMC stringer drive boats are among the most difficult to sell. Most by now are aware of the OMC issues. If you like the boat, and can expect to get more years from it, it may behoove you to keep it and use it...., rather than sell it for peanuts.
To change to a different stern drive involves transom in-fill work.

Out here in Oregon, there are tons of OMC Stringer drive parts.
I have a friend who is in the boat salvage business. OMC parts are his Bread and Butter, so to speak.
This would include the Cobra drives, as well as the Stringer Drives.
Merc is next..... Volvo Penta last.
Supply/Demand...... ones that hold up well -vs- ones that do not!

If you really like the boat, you could in-fill the transom, making it structural, and change to another stern drive. It can be done!

Thats a hydro-mechanical drive ?

What can i tell you i have a 86' stringer. It's a ole byatch, but i like it. I will keep till i get all the kids out, sell my house and buy my first new, or 2-3 year old boat.

I say that now but i want a old school 5.7 or big block. Carbed no fancy electric chit.

I'm at the point that I'm pretty familiar with the electrical set-up on this engine spending so much time troubleshooting what turned out to be pretty simple problems. The actual drive has never given me any trouble but its time I give it a good once over before going back in the water in the spring.

I saw a video on the internets of a big daycruiser that was restored with a Chrysler sterndrive, talk about trouble finding parts.............

Ricardo you must see lots of old skool jet boats out in your neck of the woods?? I once saw a Marlin tri hull w a 455 BBO and Berkeley jet really odd combo.

Back