Logo

To drain or not to drain

rutnstrut

Recently purchased a 1998 Honda 50 hp four stroke. During the course of repairs the mechanic advised me to drain each carburetor if I plan to keep the boat out of the water for 1 or 2 weeks. He advised that due to ethanol in fuel the carbs get get gummed up and within a year time the carbs will need rebuilt or cleaned. I also use Startron treatment at each fill up and instead of draining each carb would it do the same if I disconnect the fuel line at the ramp and let it run out of gas. What do you guys do?

When ever you take the boat out of the water it is a good idea to run the motor till carburetors are empty.-----------Many folks will argue with that simple step.------Empty carburetors stay clean.

thanks, i always did that with my johnson 15 hp tiller and all went well. I must say reviving a neglected outboard is a costly venture. So far she is running good and i want to keep it that way. The prior owner broke the fuel line connector to the outboard and to make it work they push the fuel line throw the housing and connected it directly to the nipple. Can i purchase the part to fix this rig.

First...I agree with your mechanic. More than 2 weeks could be 2 years...... Even though you intend to return in 2 weeks....like happens....and your return could be delayed.

Even if you run it out of fuel, there is still fuel left in the carburetors. As you are running them out of fuel, you will note when the top carburetor drops out....pull the choke out and the motor will continue to run much longer.

Generally, if this is done...when you drain...a drop will come out of the top carb....a few more out of the middle carb....and a little more out of the bottom. A paper towel is enough to catch it all.

If the Startron is the stabilizer, etc it will help, but there is no guarantee like a empty carburetor...as Racerone has indicated.

If you do not have an owner's manual, you can download one for free from Honda http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF50
Choose one based on your frame serial number.

Now for the fuel connector. The 98 50 HP had connectors with two round ends. If you have a connector that has two round ends, then it is not available any more. You have have replace the fitting on the engine and the one on the hose. They are available as a set. Part # 04104-ZW9-000.

There are aftermarket replacements for the two round fitting...but I have not found any that work reliably.

If you fitting that has one round and one rectangular ends (the new type), then you can order just the hose fitting.....part #17650-ZW9-013.

Hope that helps.

By the way, the 50 has been around a long time and it is a workhorse and will serve you well if you change that oil and gear lube on a regular basis.

It sounds like, in your hands, it will be well cared for.

Mike

I have the same 50 and drain the carbs if I suspect that I will not be on the water again tomorrow. We have ethanol in our fuel here. I have now had my motor for 3 summers and have not once had a carb problem (fingers crossed). In part i believe due to this preventive maintenance. It takes no time at all to drain. Good luck with your new Honda, they are a fantastic motor.

Drain the carbs !! small job . carb cleaning is a process that is expensive and often needs to be repeated before its right. I always use premium ( no ethanol) fuel in all my small engines .

Another question. Running motor on muffs, what is the proper way to accomplish this . Tape vent above prop and use the round shaped muff. What other vents need to be taped to make sure the motor gets enough water flow. I though a better solution would be a barrel but someone told me the proper way is to run the motor on muffs.

I use the barrel and have no issues. the muffs were a pain. fill a plastic garbage can with water and tilt motor down into it. I use a 5 gallon pail to collect the water discharged from the tell tale to put back into the barrel. some will leave a garden hose running into the barrel .

Back