Logo

To add an electric starter to 5.5 or 6 Hp evinrude or johnson

thudpucker

Regular Contributor
I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack over this post. :p
I'm old. I like to row.
But I have these two motors, and maybe I'm gonna put one on my 14' Jon boat.:D

DSCF5085.jpgnumbers.jpgEvinrude numbers.jpgDSCF6081.jpg
I doubt there was ever a Factory starter. I'd sure be grateful for any info I can use.

I may use a Starter from a B&S lawn mower. It's just an idea though.
Do you have a better idea? Something else I can use?

I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack over this post. :p
I'm old. I like to row.
But I have these two motors, and maybe I'm gonna put one on my 14' Jon boat.:D

View attachment 7996View attachment 7997View attachment 7998View attachment 7999
I doubt there was ever a Factory starter. I'd sure be grateful for any info I can use.

I may use a Starter from a B&S lawn mower. It's just an idea though.
Do you have a better idea? Something else I can use?

Nothing is impossible, I suppose. So I won't dash your dreams. However, your must realize it can't be done without considerable fabrication of a mounting bracket, and more......

Good info, Thanks all.
I was hoping I could find a bolt-on 'sumpinother' but nope!
PS: The 6 has been mine since 68 or maybe 69, and it's always been quick n' easy. Just lately I put a new fuel pump kit in because it was getting balky.
Now it's still Balky, even with a new fuel pump kit.

I'll keep laboring at it soon....

The fuel pump has nothing to do with making it start easy !----Have you inspected / replace ignition coils in all those years ?

No Racer, I just had some time to start it, and it wouldn't. I had a Kit, put it in, but I don't think that changed anything. I'll get to is soon though. I'll check those Coils n' Points.

When you check the ignition, look for signs of oily residue on the ignition components. It should be oil-free under the flywheel. If you find a significant amount of oily residue, you have a bad upper crankcase seal and need to replace it. The oil on the points can make it hard to start. Just another thing to look for.

The 5.5 HP does not have an upper crankshaft seal.---Just a slinger and a passage way to the intake manifold.

Thanks guys.
It's turned off cold and even chilly down here. Too cold for an old guy to be down in that Barn.
I'll put this off till it get's up warm enough.
Thanks for the Tip.

I had not pulled the flywheel on that motor. Not ever!

So maybe I'm having trouble up there in the Points.
It has good spark though. I'll have to rig up my Timing light to check for a Sheared Key.
It did run momentarily when I gave it a shot of Carb cleaner. But it quit by itself and hasn't burped a snort since.

Thanks again guys.:)

Back