Logo

Tired 150 1989 150hp

rich_p

Regular Contributor
I recently acquired a '89 Johnson 150 that is showing it's age (bought mostly for the hull). Engine is showing 90's on 5 of 6 and 70's on one. Was running fine and took it out for a little fishing today and while running around 4K, rpm's would slow and engine would stall. First thought was a fuel restriction and got it running again. Back around 4K for a few min and same thing happens with the stall as an abrupt stop. New thought is a bearing is heating and siezing. Wait a few min and it would restart and putted back to the dock. Does a faulty bearing make sense or should I be looking at something else. There is no wierd noise (yet) and the rest of the engine is pretty clean (no mangled wires, tnt works fine, not a rust bucket). Swapping a J 120 onto it to get through rest of fishing season possibly this week but will be seriously underpowered.

Now I have to decide what to do with the 150. Do I:
1. rebuild the powerhead myself on an oversize with new bearings (rough idea on cost of piston kit, bearings and gaskets?)
2. put a remanufactured 150 powerhead on it
3. put a remanufactured 175/200 on it (will it bolt up?, what needs to be changed besides the carbs?)
4. keep an eye out for another entire engine (hull will handle up to 230)

Re: Tired 150

go to------------shop.evinrude.com------------for all the parts prices , this will help you make up your mind.---------------A bearing heating and seizing is not likely , but very expensive if that is what you have.

Well, the low compression on the one cylinder is a huge problem and the motor needs to come apart.------------------The bad cylinder might be the one driving the fuel pump.-------------If you do not have high and low pressure cycles in that crankcase the pump will not function properly.------Then again you might just have a blown head gasket.------------------Finding the problem now might mean that the motor is " fixable " if you keep running it you might destroy it completely.

Engine is out of use now since it is unreliable and there are less and less boats on the water. The low compression is a lower (left?) cylinder.

You are close with the bearing seizing idea, but not the case I think. I believe you have a lean running cylinder, which overheats at higher rpm causing the piston to swell and seize in the cylinder. When the engine cools for a few minutes or so, the piston frees back up, and you can then restart.

I have had this same thing happen to me on a 1985 185hp. It is time to pull the head on the low cylinder. I believe you will see major scoring on the cyl walls, as well as some aluminum transfer from the piston to the walls. Also, look carefully at the carb that feeds that cyl for a blocked HS jet or other blockages in the HS fuel circuit. At any rate, it it sounds like rebuild time to me.

Havn't done anything with it. I have 3 more boats (total of 6 in the water this past season) to winterize before anything happens with the 150. Also I have my busy season for work as well as a week vacation that I have to get things squared away before I even think about tearing into it so it probably won't happen until around January.

OK, I slacked off on winterizing twin 454's and a genest today to tear into the 150. Pulled the heads and have a melted piston but the hole is still fine. All others are clean holes so I might be getting out of this with a oversize bore and set of pistons.
I also have a lead on a 225 Merc that I might try to pick up since the 150 is a bit small for this boat.

Update:
I have a Merc 225 on the way and will probably be parting the 150 OMC out. Anyone looking for something specific before I offer it to the general public?
Johnson 150 25" trim n tilt 1989

150-3.jpg

Back