Logo

Timing

jsh

Hi guys:
I am in the final st

Hi guys:
I am in the final stages of a rebuild project. I installed a 7.4 crusader that I bought used.My question is about timing. Book says 10 degrees I set this up reading the marks of the front of the motor. How do you go about timing the ignition using the knockout in the bell housing?
also I have used petronics coil and electronic ignition. the coil gets very hot is this common?
thanks john

"You do it just like you would

"You do it just like you would any other engine. Timing light to #1 and engine running. Aim light at flywheel, thru timing port. Note location of timing mark (radial line) relative to the pointer on the Ser# plate. Adjust if needed."

hey mark would the result be t

hey mark would the result be the same timing from either end of the motor?
thanks
john

"they should be.

if not, ma

"they should be.

if not, make sure you have the correct 'mark' on the flywheel and check the balancer for slipping and correct reading the available scale.

The "RH" engines are 'backwards' regarding crank rotation (and timing marks) and advanced orientations"

"the scribe mark on my 454 req

"the scribe mark on my 454 required a lot of cleaning with sandpaper to find the mark it is a very thin mark,in the end i held a piece of hard rubber with sand paper wrapped around it and used the starter to rotate the fyywheel."

Back