Logo

Tilt/Trim Question: 1976 V4

andrewdouv

135EL76

I'm not new to wrenching on these V4's, but this is my first experience with hydraulic trim/tilt.
When I hit the UP/DOWN button the electric motor runs but nothing moves. I opened the screw shown in the picture and it seems there is no fluid.
Is there a way to manually move this motor, bypassing the power trim/tilt system?

Thanks, any information is appreciated. I have no idea if this problem will be as simple as adding new fluid or not.
Just picked up this boat and motor and I'm currently working through various issues

web.jpg

Only check fluid at/near full tilt.
At the bottom of the motor unit, your green arrow is a screw facing aft. It is a hydraulic release valve. Unscrew it, but don't remove it. Turn until you fell a little resistance. This allows fluid to by pass the pump.
From the skeg manually lift up on the motor.
Block the motor in the full up positon.
Open the green arrow screw to add fluid. Normal level is even with the bottom of the screw. Replace the plug
Tighten up the by pass screw. It doesn't take much force as it is an O-ring seal, just snug it.
Try to raise the motor using the trim motor.
I have one of these units. It is good to have the owner's manual. Can be gotten from this site
Let us know how it works.

Thank you for your detailed response. I can tell from visual inspection that the screw you mentioned will be a bear to get out.
I'll have a go at it this weekend and report back. There is a manual tilt lock for once I get it in the full up position.

The manual release screw is visible in your picture. It is at the bottom of the motor can and faces aft. From the reservouir plug at your green arrow, the release screw is to the left and below. It should be ease to turn and should NOT be removed. It is actually a valve stem, so two or three turns is all it takes.

Back