Logo

Tilt and trim or Tilt only 1973 85 hp

SOUTHERNREBEL

New member
I have a 1973 Evinrude 85 hp, model # 85393M. I was just given a Tilt unit off another 85 HP with the same model number. I have two questions.
1. Would this be a tilt and trim or tilt only. It has a small pump with two cylinders under the transom bracket. It also has three wires at the switch which is a power, blue wire and a green wire.

2. I installed a new solonoid and a switch. The solonoid clicks but the unit does not operate. I dont know anything else about the units other than it has been sitting outside for who knows how long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Confused in texas.
 
Re: Tilt and trim or Tilt only

no there is a cable with 3 wires in it (black, blue, and green). Then there is also a seperate small black wire that runs past the pump to the cylinders.
 
the way to test the three wire system is to place the power wire to the pos post on a battery, the the blue wire to the neg post, motor should run up, now remove blue and place the green wire to neg post motor should run down, if this checks good the motor is good and the soleniod side of it is bad. if the motor dose not drive when hooked to the battery the trim/tilt motor is bad.
 
thank you and can anyone tell if this is a Tilt and trim or just a tilt. have read other threads here about it and I am still unclear which one I have.
 
for what I know...trim units have 2 diagonal shafts "2 small cylinders" that push the engine slowly and the big cylinder in the center is just for tilting, so to say, my engine has a rod and about 5 hole adjustments for trim and the tilt unit consists of two cylinders that tilt the engine and are not used for trim purposes on high load situations IMHO...
 
Back
Top