Logo

Tilt adjustment stud 1995 Johnson 115HP on Sunbird Neptune 180 open fisherman

startedinbermuda

Contributing Member
I have a 95 115HP Johnson now and just noticed that the stud that the engine rests on when it's tilted down was missing. I found it somewhere on the boat but I'm not sure which one of those holes on the unit mounted to the stern I should insert the stud and put a clip on it. There's a lot holes there (lol). Appreciate some help.
God Bless and best regards,

If the motor has trim and tilt then just put it in the hole nearest the boat.---If no trim and tilt you have to experiment.

Ditto on the above reply. I'd assume that, if the engine has PTT, that someone removed that rod to gain a deeper down/inward angle of the engine to drop the bow and get on plane quickly when getting out of the hole.

Depends..... On a trailer (whatever), check to see if the foremost inward angle of the engine conflicts with the transom, steering, etc.

Good point. If it doesn't then I guess I can use the holes closes to the transom. Would you do that or would you just set it a couple of holes in so tilt motor doesn't have to work so hard each time?

If it does not conflict with the transom or steering etc when trimmed all the way in, then the rod is not needed.

If it does conflict when trimmed all the way in, then I'd suggest installing the rod in the hole closest to the transom.

Do not simply install the rod a couple holes in as that destroys the trim effect beyond those holes. When in doubt, confer with someone more knowledgeable (with your rig present) of that setup in your area.

Back