Logo

Thermostat Temperature

brycez28

I have a 19' Evinrude Rogue 200 with a 340 Buick v8 (not original motor) in it. I've had it for almost a year and have been slowly working on getting it running as it previously sat for 8 or 9 years from previous owner. Anyway, I was having issues with it not having any power while under load and it wouldn't go over 1800 RPMs. Turned out that the timing was WAY off. Last night I took it out on the lake and it ran good, but now is running borderline hot. It has a new water pump in it, but from looking at my OMC manual this morning, it is missing the O rings that goes on the Truion (something like that, don't remember spelling) where the drive rotates on the intermediate housing for raising and lowering the drive because it was squirting a pretty good stream of water from those pivot points. I also want to check the thermostat. On another forum I've been posting on for the engine issues, it was suggested that I need to have a thermostat otherwise the engine won't be able to warm up and that is bad for it, and that I should get a 140 degree thermostat for it. The only thermostats I can find for this engine are 160, 180, and 195 degrees. Any suggestions or recommendations?

160 stat should work ok. If needed, you can always order 2, and clip 1 turn of the spring on one and see if it runs cooler, but 160 should be ok.
and always use a thermostat!
those missing trunnion o-rings are probably your overheating cause.
however, grease the swivel bearing well in the outdrive to prevent the impeller from sucking exhaust gases.

Thank you. After seeing the O-rings in the manual this morning and knowing that I didn't see any on the drive that probably was the culprit. Another question. I've been contemplating switching to thru-hull exhaust. I know that the large exhaust hoses that go from the manifolds to the exhaust port for the outdrive should be changed, and that will be a royal pain. Besides reducing sound, are there any benefits to leaving it the way it is? I know I will have to put 2 more holes in the boat and need to make sure water doesn't go up the exhaust (which shouldn't be an issue because of how the exhaust is well below the manifolds.

I don't know much about through hull, because it is illegal where I live (thankfully).
However, the one benefit of through hull is getting the heat out of the drive, and eliminating any possibility of the impeller sucking exhaust.
And with a big V8 like yours, there may be a measureable reduction in exhaust restriction, although I doubt that - the porting through the old stringer drives was pretty big and open - although the chute above the prop isn't huge... hard to say if any performance gain would be realized... I wouldn't count on any.

If you ever considered adding selectrim to your boat, that option will be unavailable once through hull is on there as selectrim on a stringer tips the entire engine and drive relative to the transom.

If you want performance, selectrim would be 10X the upgrade over through hull. I don't think any of the Buick based units came with selectrim though, so a Chevy or Ford mount system would have to be adapted.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be switching it for performance. And I don't even want to think about the work it would take to put selectrim in! The engine hardly fits in the bay the way it is! I would be doing it more to get the heat out of the drive. When the outdrive is off and the engine it running, it is kinda loud when you give it some gas, but it isn't obnoxiously loud.

Back