Logo

Thermostat or Not 1986 60HP 3cyl Serial#A923129

G

Greg Hare

Guest
"Yea it's me again with th

"Yea it's me again with the 60 HP Merc. Both of these power heads I took a part didn't have a thermostat, poppet, and all that goes with them. My parts manual that I bought specifically related to my serial # doesn't show one, however the repair manual talks about installing one during reassembly. My dealer can't find a listing either so I'm wondering (before I put the exhaust cover on) if anyone can tell me for sure if some motors were manufactured without one? It appears to have a spot for one the way the exhaust plates are formed. Any input would be appreciated."
 
"JB,
Thanks for that info. My


"JB,
Thanks for that info. My dealer down here in Cocoa FL said that a thermostat will help cotrol operating temps and also help the unit to idle better. Our water temps can range from the 60's in winter up to the 80's 90's in summer. Do you think it will hurt to run one in the warmer temps on this older 60 horse?"
 
"I would go without one. 60-80

"I would go without one. 60-80s is not cold. The thermo listed was 110 deg, it's not enough of a difference to help. If it was a v series block then the thermo would help control the water flow. If it didn't have one go without. Less chance of overheat, if your unhappy with the idle then put one in."
 
Back
Top